How Does HECS work? (1 Viewer)

david1337king

HSC
Ok, I have been confused with this. Different people have told me different things and at Uni open days, it was not really explained very well.

I've been told that the Government pays the fees for your course at the start of each year and then you have to pay a student contribution fee. Once you finished the course and get a job, you have to pay back what the Government paid. Is this right?

G

Gavvvvvin

You only have to pay for the student contribution fee, which you can either pay upfront or cover with a HECS HELP loan which you will then have to pay back.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
If you can't understand HECS, maybe you should rethink going to university.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You need to pay two things each year (assuming you're HECS):
Course fee
Student contribution fee (ie union fee, optional now with VSU)

The first can be deferred until you earn over a threshold, the latter you have the choice of paying and joining or not paying.

loser101

HSC
first you choose the course that has HECS (not DFEE)

then when it comes to enrolement you fill out a HECS declaration form, with Tax File number, you can also pay the full amount upfront before a certain date (around 1 month into the semester) and you will get a discount... i think its around 20%.

also if you pay more than a certain amount i think $500 at anyone time you get another discount like 10%.

Evilo

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
You only have to pay for the student contribution fee, which you can either pay upfront or cover with a HECS HELP loan which you will then have to pay back.
true, if you pay (the full amount) upfront you recieve a 20%(?) discount.

HECS HELP loan will be taken from you when you earn over the threshold. Obviously, the more you earn, the greater amount they take out to cover the cost of your debt.

xtrne

HSC
N/A
Does HECs pay for things like text books, and uniforms (for nursing)?

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Nursing has lots of stuff to buy for but there are heaps of scholarships around. Don't just look to your uni, the nursing associations and many not-for-profits support nursing students. Even maybe your local council.

Plus check out secondhand stuff on ebay from ex-students or dropouts

Oxbridge

HSC
N/A
Karnage is right, it doesn't cover it, but it should!!! The Labor govt. brought in free Uni and also abolished it! Now it might be 'free' to those who can't afford to pay the debt back, but there is still a debt to the government.
Textbooks should come under the HECS repayment (especially for Law and Medicine!).

The HECS system entitles you to SEVEN years of full time equivalent study as I understand it, if you are doing more than the full-time load of four subjects then you will eat into the seven years. Under HECS the govt. pays 75% of the cost and you pay the other 25% based on your future earnings, this debt is indexed with CPI, I think it goes up by about 1% p.a. If you reach your limit on HECS you can apply for FEE-HELP, as I understand it it works similar to HECS except you pay the FULL amount of the balance or load, I think there is a maximum of $40,000 that you can use, after that you are on your own!

In addition to this I think there is a postgraduate funding scheme, as for PhD's I think they are funded fully by the govt/private enterprise.

Feel free to correct me if I have made a mistake.

Last edited:
HSC
HECS does my laundry, the dishes, cooks my meals, dresses me in the morning and makes sure i get to class on time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)