uni preferecnes after hsc (1 Viewer)

Gubble

ok.....i know that u can change the order of ur preferences after the hsc....but is it possible to add more prferences after hsc wifout having to pay a late fee?

bex

HSC
you can do whatever you like to them and they wont charge you, as long a you initially put them in before the first due date.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes, you can do whatever you like to them up until the main round (early January).

Although changing them after you receive your UAI defeats the purpose of having a 'preferences' list in the first place.

buttercup

ok.. so the uai system will consider every preference from first to last?
what happens if Person A gets a uai of 80, and Person B gets a uai of 75.. and they both chose to do Commerce with a uai cut off of 72..
Commerce was Person A's last preference, but it was person's B first, and Person A didn't get get into the rest of his other courses..
which one will be picked to go in the course? Will the selection be made over the preference or the uai?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
lol if the cutoff is 72 then they'll both get in

but selection is made via UAI - you don't decrease your chances of getting in for a course if you list it as a lower preference

funkydish

Originally posted by Lazarus
but selection is made via UAI - you don't decrease your chances of getting in for a course if you list it as a lower preference
ooooh ok ... well that's good. :)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
hang on a minute.

say i get a UAI of 90.

and say my preferences' UAI's are

1. 88
2. 85
3. 93

etc.

so i've made the cutoff for the first two, and if i don't change them buy jan 4, i get offered a place in pref 1 and that's it. i think... :confused:

(i know this sounds like a dumbarse question after a whole year of it, but hey...)

Last edited:

buttercup

but not everyone with a uai higher than the cut off would get in wouldnt they? I mean, im sure they have a limit in how many people are in the course..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The cut-off itself is determined by the demand for the degree and the number of places available.

If there aren't enough places, the cut-off will be equal to the UAI of the last person they accept.

Cut-offs are not predetermined - they are reported AFTER offers are made. The cut-off is simply the lowest UAI you could have attained whilst still receiving an offer for that particular degree.

sugarae

My turn for a dumb questions

I have put in for a principals recommendation (covering bases). If I get an offer early December and decide to take it even though its not my first choice and then I get the mark I need for my 1st preference will I still be offered it or am I out of the race.
Anybody know???

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You are allowed one HECS offer and one fee-paying offer per round, so if your early offer comes during the Early Round, you can still be made an offer during the Main Round.

But you'd have to ensure that your early offer is actually part of the Early Round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)