"a higher uai suggests greater chance of succeeding at uni." (1 Viewer)

HSC
this question is so cliche it isn't even funny. really can't be bothered to answer it.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
1. it isnt a question, its a statement.
2. its a statement to see whether people agree or disagree with this cliche.
3. okay now give your opinion.

Last edited:

decoil

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
Since I believe the HSC is a test of 'how many hours of study an individual puts in', I would agree with the statement. If you put alot of work into the year before, it is likely you are prepared for the upcoming workload in the next. Thus, succeeding.

However, it is arguable that someone with a higher UAI will take up a harder Uni course. In this case, it cannot be compared to someone who got a lower UAI and is studying an easy course. Which begs the question, how is success compared across the board?

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
^ hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah if you think entry UAI correlates with the difficulty of the course. Hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha wow.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
My year adviser said that the uni environment is completely different from the high school environment. There are some that can only excel in the spoon-fed environment high school provides and there are others that excel in the university environment.

Also, he said that during your time at uni you will change as a person. Some people don't bloom until they reach uni.

decoil

HSC
Captain Hero said:
^ hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah if you think entry UAI correlates with the difficulty of the course. Hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha wow.
Yeah because combined law degree's are about the same difficulty as agriculture. gg.

decoil

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
There are some that can only excel in the spoon-fed environment high school provides and there are others that excel in the university environment.
Very true as well.

Affinity

HSC
UAI is probably the best predictor available before you actually start uni. Sure, it doesn't make perfect predictions but one should not criticise it for not doing something it did not set out to provide.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
decoil said:
Yeah because combined law degree's are about the same difficulty as agriculture. gg.
Cutoffs are based on demand and supply.
combined law degrees are in higher demand (or shorter supply) than agriculture and that is why the cutoff it higher.

Law may be harder than agriculture, but that's irrelevant in regards to cutoffs.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
If you had $ 50 000 to bet on two people suceeding at university.

Student "a" got a UAI of 99

Student "b" got a UAI of 60

Who would you place your $50 000 on?

I wonder........

If you can't be bothered studying at high school you sure as hell won't suceed at uni.

(waits for the 1 in 100 000 story of person getting UAI of 95 and dropping out of uni......)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
in 3 years i've seen so many people say "we did this in hsc xxx" in the first 2 weeks of uni, think they'll breeze thru it, and end up struggling to pass

from talking to some people you'd think they just gave you a hsc exam paper on the first day of uni and said "this is the course, go for it kids"

btw, success at uni =/= hsc standard grades (i.e. ultra competitive, looking for 95+ in everything)

success at uni == reasonable grades + other activities to put urself in the best position to start ur chosen career

unless ur doing a pointless degree like arts, lol

undalay

HSC
I would say on average yes but of course there are many exceptions.

For example someone who does math and sciences to get a uai of 99+ then chooses to do a course such as law which does not relate to these strengths...well yeah you can figure it out.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
UAI is only a partial measure of success at uni. Surviving uni is dependant on your work ethic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)