"Major" ??? (1 Viewer)

asdf

HSC
Hi

In UTS (for example), there is a course "bachelor of engineering/Science" where you can choose a major in science and engineering (Say i chose "Computer Engineering" as the major for engineering).

Now, there is also the course "computer engineering" where it has its own majors such as robotics, computer netwroks etc...

Whats the difference between those 2 degrees now? The "bachelor of engineering/science" you can major in computer engineering. For "computer engineering" you can major in other things. Are these 2 course different (other than one having science with it)?

Thanks, hope you understood, if not please tell me.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
No they should be the same.

If you do BSc/BEng with Computer Systems Engineering as your chosen major, then that should be the same as doing the BEng CompSysEng, without the additonal electives.

Basically they combine the BSc and BEng course and take out any additional electives, as to make it a bit shorter to complete 2 degrees.

I think within the Comp Sys Eng major you can choose subjects that you want to do, and I think thats what you mean. The subjects should be applicable whether you do combined or not.

Remember you have to meet the UAI of Comp Sys Eng to do that major, but if you meet the UAI of the BSc/BEng then I think u do.

asdf

HSC
Not sure if i understood you, but if i do the combined degree, certain electives are taken out from the comp. sys. eng. major to make it shorter?

Also, basically my question before was, is there such a thing as a "major within a major"? ie.
Engineering/science > major in computer system engineering.
then theres...
Computer Systems engineering > major in robotics, networking, s/w etc...

Thanks for your reply.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'll take a look at the Computer Systems Engineering major and get back to you.

The Computer Systems Engineering itself it a degree, not a major, so like, perhaps there are different aspects of CompSysEng that you can undertake.

What I meant by the electives is that, if you do the BEng CompSysEng on its own, you have the choice of doing electives outside of the Eng faculty, sunch as business (so you get to experience more). They use up these elective slots (I guess you could call them) as part of your science degree instead, just so like the combined degree becomes is it 6 years? instead of like 7.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Okiez well:

http://www.uts.edu.au/div/publications/eng/ug/eng-science.html

This page describes the course outline of the BEng/BSc combined degree. Its 5 years, and as mentioned, you do the same CompSysEng degree as you would in the single one (with the additional electives) and you do a science major (like you would if say you were doing BSc Applied Physics). So its like doing 2 degrees, but without additional electives. This just means you can't branch out into other areas, such as business, but by doing a combined degree your in 2 areas anyways.

http://www.uts.edu.au/div/publications/eng/ug/c10061/computer.html

This page is for the Computer Systems Engineering degree/major which has the subjects you do. As far as I know, you pretty much do all the subjects listed there, apart from the electives (which are only 5 I think). The course seems pretty fix though, so you learn quite a bit about CompSysEng, so I don't think there is an option to choose much in there, its fixed for you.

asdf

HSC
jase-REX, thanks heaps for that reply. It was really helpfull. Just one more thing, is there a link listing the possible electrives for the computer systems engineering degree?

ta :)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Sorry about the late reply, didn't notice you had replied! :).

This should answer your question:

http://www.uts.edu.au/div/publications/eng/ug/c10061/c10061_cont.html#duration

Scroll down to the part which says "Electives". Basically it is quite flexible, you can pretty much do any subjects at UTS that you meet the prerequisites for (so you can do 4 accounting or economics subjects in the order required and the 1 extra subject to make up your 5 electives). You just can't do subjects that are similar to any subjects you have already done (ie. you might find some IT subjects overlap with Engineering subjects in terms of content, but thats not many, so it should be OK). So basically you could do most subjects at UTS. So it gives you 5 subjects of freedom (or 4 if you do something like languages since they are worth 8 credit points each not 6).

Hope that helps!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Dingo, thats the third time u've said that! Do I know you? lol.

Dingo

Banned
jase, you do not know me, and i do not know you, but seeing your comments around the forums, i have learnt that your a man of wisdom, with true intelligence.

peace^^

Dingo

Banned
i am not spamming.
i believe spamming is posting the same message over and over again.
my posts actually have truthful meaning.

peace^^

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Seriously man, its going overboard, please stop or you will be banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)