Application Question (1 Viewer)

*rUsTy*

HSC
Hey folks, I got a kind of complicated question about applying for Uni through UAC.

My situation is that I graduated in 2007 and have undergone Tertiary education in the form of a private college (Macleay) and have done the Diploma in Journalism (2008) and am currently doing the accelerated Bachelor of Arts they offer. I am now interested in applying for an Education course at UNSW or Macquarie.

Now, I haven't attempted to apply yet and so I don't know what type of questions they ask but basically I'm wondering about what tertiary education they consider. Would they count the Diploma only because I don't graduate from the BA course until April next year? If so, am I right to naturally assume that a Diploma is far less attractive than a Degree when considering my application? I heard from someone that they count the course you've done the best in anyway... the Diploma was easy compared to the Degree and am already certain on paper, my grades for the Diploma are better.

I have asked UAC and am waiting for a reply, have not asked the particular Uni's yet. Just thought I'd post the question here and see if anyone can attempt to clear it all up for me.

spence

HSC
They should count it all. They ask you to put in any tertiary courses you've started

Andi0390

HSC
Depends what you mean by count. Yes, they will take into consideration your results up until the end of 2009 when looking at your application rank/elegibility/whatever.

If you mean count as use your Arts subjects at another university then that generally depends on the university.

If you are finishing your degree in Arts in April why would you change now?

Are you applying for an undergraduate teaching course or a graduate teaching course? Actually even if you tell me I wouldn't really know how it would effect you, but I presume you cannot apply for a graduate course unless you have done a Bachelor degree. Which might mean something to you.

*rUsTy*

HSC
Yeah, I meant count the degree as a whole, not the subjects. If they count it though, how can I show my results if I don't get any paper work until graduation?

I finish the degree in December but don't graduate until next April... I'm not necessarily changing because it's only lasted one year. Had no choice in the units I studied... they were all set out for us and are media/communications based to match the Journalism diploma from the year before.

I'm applying for an undergraduate course because this wasn't a typical BA course... if I wanted to apply for a graduate course I would have needed to have studied things which would count towards Education... but since I had no choice in the matter, hardly any of the units would apply which leaves me with no choice but to do another BA and do subjects that would assisst in the Education part of the degree. Macquarie told me this specifically.

It's a confusing situation. Hope UAC can do something about it haha. All because of this screwed up 2 year diploma/degree course :p

Andi0390

HSC
I was under the impression that for Australian tertiary type things you didn't have to provide documentation - they generally have access to your results directly from the university. As they take each of the results of your units into account rather than your actual qualification then I wouldn't think that it would make a huge difference if it was finished or not, but again I don't know. I guess the best thing to do would be to apply through UAC or whatever listing everything that you have done. If they request documentation then once this year's exams are over forward a copy of your transcript - you won't need your certificate.

Then you'll either get in or not. Alternatively you could apply direct to a university (if they accept direct applications) and that way you could question the university directly about what you would need.

Just give it a go and see what happens - thats really all you can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)