Useless Degrees-Communications! (1 Viewer)

David27

Don't take this too seriously.

I'm sure people can come up with a multitude of useless degrees to warn prospective students about. I'll start off with the wonderful
Bachelor of Communications in whatever.

I wonder when they'll revamp these degrees to incorporate bar and waiting skills to prepare graduates for those jobs in the hospitality industry once they've finished their communications degree.
After graduation, you can come back and do a BA with majors in Philosophy and Gender Studies. That way, you're guarranteed to keep that bar or waiting job that you've grown accustom to over the years.
Your dream of reading the news will come less from the channel nine studio and more from the leftover newspaper left on the table you're cleaning up after the lunch rush hour.

The Bachelor of Psychology!! I'll let someone else fill you in on the joys of that one!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks for your opinion though I do choose to disregard it.... I think it depends where you end up doing communications, and whether you work hard to build up a portfolio and gain work experience while you are at uni. UTS and CSU Bathurst have a very good name for communications, and have a high level of graduate employment in the industry. Also, communications degrees equip you for more than just becoming a newsreader/journalist... they open up a multitude of career paths in PR/media relations/government.... think of all the large companies in Australia, and think of the size of their media/PR units... those are the sorts of jobs that communications degrees can get you. However in some respects I can agree with you, a communications degree can be quite useless if you don't get the work experience and portfolio while you are at uni, or if the course isn't recognized in the industry. That would make your chances of getting a job more difficult...

You also seem to be dissing the hospitality industry in your post. The hospitality industry is one of the largest sectors in Australia and provides many opportunities for employment and promotion. It is hardly the dead end loser job that you seem to make it out to be. People have to eat and hence skills in hospitality will always be valued..... you can earn a lot of money through hospitality management. Chefs also earn generous salaries.....

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
eheh i don't think he's dissing the hospitality industry.. he's just making fun of how it's hard to find a job with a communications degree

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, are you an idiot, David27? A degree doesn't have to be vocationalised for it to be worthwhile.

David27

I told you not to take it seriously.
As for a degree that doesn't have to be vocational to make it worthwhile......well......you'll see...you'll see....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)