What was ur first day @ Uni like, Uni Students? (1 Viewer)

Winn

HSC
What was your first day in uni like?

So, as the title says, do you guys still remember what it felt like? Was it confusing/scary/exciting/boring? Any interesting things to share?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Re: What was your first day in uni like?

before very first lecture (comp1911): "hmm need to make some new friends"

then i see 2 ppl from my highschool who im good friends with (one of em ive known since yr8).
turns out they were also doing math1131, and one of em was in my group for engg1000 and that same one also did phys1121.

win.

Last edited:

Andi0390

HSC
It was okay - you sort of get into it gently. At first you have only got lectures, and if you have a map you are pretty much set. Everyone is a bit shy though. The week after tutes usually start but by then you already know your lectures, so its only one new thing.

Everyone is pretty understanding that you are new.

I kept expecting something interesting to happen, because back then I thought universities were exciting. Nothing ever happens though.

Its just like high school but all the really stupid people couldn't get in, and now you only have the smart and moderately stupid people who have good work ethic, the latter are usually the nicer ones.

Even though the people on bikes look happy it doesn't mean you'll be happy on a bike. I bought a bike and a helmet and everything else that you need (bells, drink bottle holder etc) because I thought being a bike rider would rock. It really doesn't though, and then you have weird hat hair and are worried you smell when you get to your lectures.

If you are talking about O-Week, be wary of the clubs if you have limitted money. I joined so many clubs in O-Week, and besides looking at the subjects of the emails they sent me, I have done nothing since. Being in the medieval re-inactment club isn't really that cool.

The political people are nice but they are too passionate about things. Although they often have free BBQs. As does the Debate Society, and while they are often expensive, sometimes they have special cards or regular meet ups with cake and stuff. The Christian people will always give you lollies, they're really nice, but I never joined their club.

Just go there, and suss it out. Smile at people.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
My first ever class was a three hour GenEd tutorial where every single other student was a third- or fourth-year. It was fun, pretending to know what the fuck I was doing.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
it was okay - you sort of get into it gently. At first you have only got lectures, and if you have a map you are pretty much set. Everyone is a bit shy though. The week after tutes usually start but by then you already know your lectures, so its only one new thing.

Everyone is pretty understanding that you are new.

I kept expecting something interesting to happen, because back then i thought universities were exciting. Nothing ever happens though.

Its just like high school but all the really stupid people couldn't get in, and now you only have the smart and moderately stupid people who have good work ethic, the latter are usually the nicer ones.

Even though the people on bikes look happy it doesn't mean you'll be happy on a bike. I bought a bike and a helmet and everything else that you need (bells, drink bottle holder etc) because i thought being a bike rider would rock. it really doesn't though, and then you have weird hat hair and are worried you smell when you get to your lectures.

if you are talking about o-week, be wary of the clubs if you have limitted money. I joined so many clubs in o-week, and besides looking at the subjects of the emails they sent me, i have done nothing since. being in the medieval re-inactment club isn't really that cool.

the political people are nice but they are too passionate about things. Although they often have free bbqs. As does the debate society, and while they are often expensive, sometimes they have special cards or regular meet ups with cake and stuff. The christian people will always give you lollies, they're really nice, but i never joined their club.

Just go there, and suss it out. Smile at people.
hahahahahahahafaghahahahahaha

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Couldn't fucking remember. So long ago now...

Although to take a guess, it probably was shit considering you don't anyone, you're in a new environment and it takes a bit of time to find your place and establish yourself.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC

So, as the title says, do you guys still remember what it felt like? Was it confusing/scary/exciting/boring? Any interesting things to share?
Boring as shit. I didn't know anyone and lectures were only full of admin info. Hence why I went home early.

University then got better though a few weeks later.

kenny.

HSC
If you don't know anyone...be prepared for some awkward silence moments while you wait outside a lecture theatre for your class.
and you'll be looking around desperately trying to find someone you know.
andddd you'll probably see someone from high skool you didn't really like but you still talk to them anyway cos you don't wanna look like a loner.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC

Strange.

Turned up to first lecture early (like almost everyone else did), was standing around outside with a bunch of other strangers, wondering how long it would take to make friends. A guy happened to be standing next to me and randomly asked me, "Is this where the BIOS1301 lecture is?"

I said, "Yeah."

He then introduced himself, we started chatting, went into lecture, then it turned out we both had a break at the same time, so we went and got food (...this all sounds so suss, lol. It really wasn't though, he was a bit strange tbh.), then we both had different lectures to go to, we said bye, and went to different lectures, me thinking 'Wow, first day, first lecture and already I've met someone new'.

I NEVER SAW THE GUY AGAIN. Not even in BIOS1301 lectures.

Must just be my effect on people or something. :(

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
If you don't know anyone...be prepared for some awkward silence moments while you wait outside a lecture theatre for your class.
and you'll be looking around desperately trying to find someone you know.
andddd you'll probably see someone from high skool you didn't really like but you still talk to them anyway cos you don't wanna look like a loner.
You kidding? That's the best possible time. Which is a better first impression:
Standing to the side, trying to act aloof and just coming off as scared, nervous and worried?
Or shouting "Quick! The floor is lava!"?
Or just immediately chatting up the nearest hot chick, and hence calling dibs before the other guys in the class can?

Last two are both equally awesome, depending upon personal preferences.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
wow you guys seem like you actually KNEW people from school on ur first day
im not going to know ANYBODY since nobody from my school is going to USYD except a couple of social work/psych students :(
people doing comm/science at usyd this year... come talk to me so i dont look like a loner.. srsly i dont bite

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
i know no one doing the same course at the same uni as me ....the only person i might have known ditched me for USYD *cough* study-freak *cough* ^_^

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Was pretty lame. Think we got showed how to use Blackboard like 4 times on the first day.

Winn

HSC
I am not going to be seeing anyone I know...:(

ashllis92

HSC
Noone from my school is even going to uni in Sydney, they're all going to Wollongong or Canberra or taking a gap year :( If someone sees me outside a maths lecture at UNSW come say hi!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
My first day was pretty boring and unmemorable, just lectures with general info and a lot of forgettable faces. In fact the thing i remember most is waiting around heaps.

If you don't know anyone from school you'll probably end up being semi-friends with a whole lot of people at first that you will eventually fall out with and never see again, or thats what happened to me and a lot of people i know anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)