Is University overrated these days? (1 Viewer)

John555

HSC
Keep in mind I'm talking about this in an undergraduate context. Back in the days University was a great achievement. Only a very few handful of people could gain entry and get a degree. If you said you were a University student or something you would be admired by people. But nowadays it seems everyone is going to University. When you ask someone what you do, 80% of the time they will say they go to Uni. Its like going to university isn't an achievement anymore, its just something everyone does now. University students are so common these days its like University is the new high school. A lot of students who aren't suited to going to University go anyways simply because its the 'what everyone else does'.

Well that's just my opinion anyway. What do you guys think?

rx34

HSC
Well, during the baby-boomers period (aka dad and mum), you could still find work even without a degree. Not many baby-boomers went to university maybe because their parents did not go to university. It was socially acceptable not to go to university.

However as technology advances, the skills needed for certain jobs increases. Hence these jobs that once didn't need university degrees, now do need university degrees. Therefore it might be ok not to have a degree in the 60s/70s, but it just doesn't work now if you want to be a physiotherapist, etc.

Anyway, the people on this BoS forum is not an accurate sample of the Australian high school population. I believe the BoS people who actually make an account are more concerned about their studies than the general public, and want higher education. So the responses here would be biased.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
going 2 uni is 4 suckers

get a trade n go in the mines mate, u'll be earning 100k before these poofs graduate

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Yes and no. Here's why I think that anyway.

Firstly, as you said, university students are a dime a dozen. It is the generally accepted progression from high school these days. Years ago, most people would be doing trades and a very select few would go to university. I think now there is an emphasis from earlier generations to be degree qualified. The problem now is that since most - or a good proportion - of high school students progress to university, that degree qualified people are not uncommon.

Secondly, the problem with university students v trade qualified people is that generally trade qualified people are looked down upon nowadays in comparison to someone with an undergraduate degree. Therefore, there is a stigma associated with being a "dumb" tradesman. Also, the potential pay for a tradie is lower than a degree qualified person despite the fact they usually take the same time to do. Having being to university a long time ago, and also being a tradie myself (qualified chef), I find the difference staggering. A tradie usually has a lot more life experience, are a lot more practical and have a lot more common sense. However, a university graduate is generally a lot smarter, and seemingly clearer headed and a lot more focussed but don't have those skills that a tradie would have. I find university graduates to be like the "young child" and tradies to be like the "old head".

Thirdly, there is generally a lot more jobs available for a graduate in comparison to a tradesman. Unless you are in an industry where you are severely understaffed you are usually trying to hang on to a job. Just looking on Seek confirms this for me. Sure, there are trades that are in demand and will pay a lot. The mines for example. But eventually these will dry up. Traditionally, there has always been a big boom in resource production before a construction boom. Or on the other hand for graduates there is always boom industries. Take Information Technology for example. Ten years ago a new graduate could easily earn 75k+ within two years. Now you are lucky to make 55k.

Finally, as rx34 said, technology has facilitated the need for better qualified employees in industries where a trade is not suitable. Which I think will keep increasing over time. As more and more industries become technology focussed more and more people are going to need degrees. As well as technology there has always been those careers which have traditionally required qualifications. As the world get's bigger there will also be an increase in required graduates to fulfil these requirements.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I think it's also seen as more socially acceptable in Australia to undertake a degree, that to not have one. When I was deciding what to do career wise and talking to others about my choices, it seemed like studying at uni (let alone only certain uni's) was the only option to many people and that in turn put a lot of pressure on me. I'm sure many of you have been in a similar situation.

I had a lot of people in my cohort that treated university as a joke, they all dropped out pretty quickly when they realised it wasn't for them. Choosing to follow a career path should be about what we want to do, regardless of if the education is at uni, TAFE, through traineeships, etc. Even with the skills shortage in the trades, it seems people believe uni is the only accepted path to success.

ETA: Chefman kinda beat me to it, lol.

Last edited:

dawdlex3

HSC
Well said, chefman21.

Most jobs have much higher academic requirements now, when compared with in the past, therefore it becomes pretty much a must for high-schoolers to get into university in order to be able to get a decent job. Sometimes even a bachelor's degree cannot guarantee you of a job, so to speak.

LordPc

HSC
no uni is not overrated. as already said, technology demands the need for more skilled individuals.

i also think that there are a lot of people who are satisfied with getting a paying job and thats it. couple of decades ago, you could get a job straight out of high school and you would be fine to live off that. no need for uni

but thats not the case anymore. you need a degree now. i think that those kind of people still exist, they have just enrolled in a commerce or engineering degree with the sole purpose of getting a good paying job and thats it.

@OP: you sound disappointed, almost angry, that uni is not some momentus thing anymore. i do not know why though

John555

HSC
it seems people believe uni is the only accepted path to success.
So true! My peers always say people become tradies because they're "too stupid/dumb to go to university".

Last edited:

terminator69

HSC
When you ask someone what you do, 80% of the time they will say they go to Uni.
If by 80%, you mean ~32%, then yes. From memory, the Government wants this number to be 40% within X number of years so if you think lots of people go there now, it's only going to increase in the future.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
I think it's also seen as more socially acceptable in Australia to undertake a degree, that to not have one. When I was deciding what to do career wise and talking to others about my choices, it seemed like studying at uni (let alone only certain uni's) was the only option to many people and that in turn put a lot of pressure on me. I'm sure many of you have been in a similar situation.

I had a lot of people in my cohort that treated university as a joke, they all dropped out pretty quickly when they realised it wasn't for them. Choosing to follow a career path should be about what we want to do, regardless of if the education is at uni, TAFE, through traineeships, etc. Even with the skills shortage in the trades, it seems people believe uni is the only accepted path to success.
Exactly. It would seem that university is a rite of passage rather than a well thought out, educated decision for a lot of people. Whether it's pressure from parents or peers I don't know. But a lot of people seem to go to uni without any real direction, based on what mummy and daddy earn or what they can potentially earn or what their peers think. Actuarial studies, law and medicine comes to mind straight away. They just don't seem to be well researched.

Actuarial studies - long hours, routine job with nothing new each day, no social contact but well paying.

Law - long hours, very few job prospects (how many checkout chicks have law degrees) but well paying.

Medicine - high pressure, long hours but well paying

Another one, Commerce with a Management major - I've done nothing, but I want the top job straight away.

I think postgraduate is going to become more and more important as well as extra curricular activities. Experience is going to count for a lot more, especially as university becomes a demand driven system in 2012

John555

HSC
Exactly. It would seem that university is a rite of passage rather than a well thought out, educated decision for a lot of people. Whether it's pressure from parents or peers I don't know. But a lot of people seem to go to uni without any real direction, based on what mummy and daddy earn or what they can potentially earn or what their peers think. Actuarial studies, law and medicine comes to mind straight away. They just don't seem to be well researched.

Another one, Commerce with a Management major - I've done nothing, but I want the top job straight away.
I agree. I talk to some of my friends brothers and sisters still in high school and they say they want to go to University because they wan't to become a millionaire/billionaire by getting a degree and somehow instantly enter a company as an executive and earn millions. Or that getting a medicine/law degree is "cool" because of shows like House. But when I ask them what the degree/job/field involves, they have absolutely NO CLUE.

Very disillusional really. But heck I don't blame them, even I was once like that!

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
its overrated in that a larger proportion do have a university degree, but unfortunately there isn't any other option if you want a stable job

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Uni is defintely overrated and isn't necessary.
I don't think that's right. I think it will become more and more necessary. I've actually found that, being a tradie myself as mentioned earlier. Trades are excellent to have under your belt, and I wholeheartedly recommend for anyone to do in the future. Personally, I would like trades to be made part of the curriculum at high school from about year 9 onwards. I'd like to see work ready, trade qualified people straight out of high school. Depending on the apprenticeship length (they vary), an extra year could be tacked on to high school or direct entry into TAFE for the longer apprenticeships. It would take a lot of pressure out of getting into university and solve a lot of unemployment problems. By all means do a degree after high school but students will have a trade behind them. That's another story though.

John555

HSC
its overrated in that a larger proportion do have a university degree, but unfortunately there isn't any other option if you want a stable job
Stable job? I know A LOT of people with degrees and NO JOB. Either because they had no interest in their course and earned their degree with pass and credits or that there are so many graduates and the competition is so tough you just can't find a job even with a degree.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
Well said, chefman21.

Most jobs have much higher academic requirements now, when compared with in the past, therefore it becomes pretty much a must for high-schoolers to get into university in order to be able to get a decent job. Sometimes even a bachelor's degree cannot guarantee you of a job, so to speak.
Thanks!

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I don't think that's right. I think it will become more and more necessary. I've actually found that, being a tradie myself as mentioned earlier. Trades are excellent to have under your belt, and I wholeheartedly recommend for anyone to do in the future. Personally, I would like trades to be made part of the curriculum at high school from about year 9 onwards. I'd like to see work ready, trade qualified people straight out of high school. Depending on the apprenticeship length (they vary), an extra year could be tacked on to high school or direct entry into TAFE for the longer apprenticeships. It would take a lot of pressure out of getting into university and solve a lot of unemployment problems. By all means do a degree after high school but students will have a trade behind them. That's another story though.
This part of the curriculum would be optional though, right? The fact remains that many students simply have no interest in pursuing a trade, regardless of what their peers, parents or extended family think. In my mind it would be equivalent to forcing all students to study music, art or commerce from year 9 and beyond as it would result in students wasting time on something they have no interest in pursuing.

I don't think Uni is so much overrated these days as it is expected. True, many employers won't pay much attention to someone's degree. They won't stand out from the crowd just by having one. Nowadays, much of the time having a degree is more about catching up to everyone else than getting ahead.

chefman21

HSC
N/A
This part of the curriculum would be optional though, right? The fact remains that many students simply have no interest in pursuing a trade, regardless of what their peers, parents or extended family think. In my mind it would be equivalent to forcing all students to study music, art or commerce from year 9 and beyond as it would result in students wasting time on something they have no interest in pursuing.

I don't think Uni is so much overrated these days as it is expected. True, many employers won't pay much attention to someone's degree. They won't stand out from the crowd just by having one. Nowadays, much of the time having a degree is more about catching up to everyone else than getting ahead.
I think it should be optional, but encouraged. I'd nearly make it compulsory for years 9 and 10, and for those students who have no plans for university study after years 11 & 12 compulsory to give them options, especially as the job market is so competitive. I think it should be compulsory for those students leaving at the end of year 10 though.

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A
what are you dim wits on about..?
A bachelors degree value is determined by what uni it was awarded from.
Now the overall value of an ugrad degree has gone down because there has been a huge supply side increase from 2/3rd tier universities such as ACU, UWS, Vic uni, Deakin, Murdoch, etc
I mean, in the past the idiots that attend these uni's would have gone straight into the army or some manual labor industry.
But a university degree from the 'group of eight' hasn't debased much at all, in fact it's probably increased in prestige because there are far more applicants these days..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)