Journalism vs Architecture (1 Viewer)

Zozaline

HSC
So im having doubts about my decision to do Architectural Studies at UNSW(although i wanted to do it at usyd apparently unsw has the better course?) and weighing up whether or not Media and Communications at UNSW or USYD (or somewhere else?) would be a better choice. My ATAR was 96.85 if that changes anything. The main reason is the fact that I love english/history/politics, and arch doesnt give you much opportunity to study these and im not really interested in a post-grad degree.
So im taking a gap year currently and I basically have a while to make up my mind but if anyone has any advice?

basically im your typical procrastinator combined with extreme indecisiveness.

artist91

HSC
heya. in arch you do get to study a little history/politics in the theory subjects but other than that it's all design, design, design. questions you should ask yourself = are you more of a humanities person or a creative problem solver? where do you see yourself working in 10 yrs? do i really want to do a 5 yr course? architecture is not a course people fair well in if they go into it without knowing it's 100% what the want to do. only the passionate survive and the others get weeded out pretty quickly. also just my opinion but when i was looking into the sydney schools usyd seemed by far the best to me.

Zozaline

HSC
hey that's really interesting re usyd as the better, is this on a level of facilities/staffing? because there was talk of usyd nearly being de-registered...

I dont think, for me, it's really about passion because really if I enter into to something I have to see it through, so I guess that's passion
I never went to the open days because I never really had an idea what I wanted to do, but i guess it's on the list of stuff to do this year!

thanks for your advice!

artist91

HSC
Most of that talk sprouted from a blog post by a disgruntled Australian architecture writer whose work is in no way reliable or the truth. Then members of the UNSW architecture community decided to pick up on the rumor and spread it around to get one-up on USyd. The RAIA even dismissed it as a rumor. USyd has by FAR the best facilities (UNSW classes sometimes have to come in and use the USyd ones), faculty members and not to mention alum doing very well for themselves (for example a student who graduated from the MArch program in 2008 has just been awarded a scholarship to the Harvard GSD which is an AMAZING achievement). I have decided to undertake my architectural education in the USA, but if I had decided to stay in Australia I would have gone to USyd hands down.

Zozaline

HSC
I guess it doesnt pay to listen to rumours.. you've definitely opened my eyes re architecture in sydney. I regret putting usyd as my second preference now! damn those rumour mongering unsw kids.

now i just have to decide whether or not i actually want to commit to architecture!

thank you for all your advice about architecture!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)