Veering off into accounting (1 Viewer)

fishfingerz

HSC
Hey, all. I'm thinking of doing B of Med Science, to 'try' and get into med. (yes i do know the chances of getting into med are very slim) so if all else fails then i'm deciding on 'reaching the finish line' with a Master of Accounting, where you can qualify for the 1.5 yr post-grad course from a non-accounting degree. i've looked at it at maquarie and UTS.

some things i don't understand. what is the difference in doing this shortened masters course as opposed to a bachelor of accounting for about 3-4 yrs? and is the only entry requirement getting a gpa of 2.7/4 from the bachelors degree? and is it hard to get in?

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
Why on earth would you want to do accounting???? Seriously...

Monstar

HSC
If by Gold Digger you mean boring person who will have no friends and will have their brain and personality cooked then yes they are.
Cool bro. How many accountants have you met? Just curious.
I'm not sure you know enough to warrant your opinion. If you look towards the big4 and most mid tiers, youll find most of their candidates are all people who can talk the talk... But its okay, you seem to have your formulated your opinion already..

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
Oh I know people doing accounting who are interesting, but it's also got dull people. :S

chrisnumber1

HSC
Hey, all. I'm thinking of doing B of Med Science, to 'try' and get into med. (yes i do know the chances of getting into med are very slim) so if all else fails then i'm deciding on 'reaching the finish line' with a Master of Accounting, where you can qualify for the 1.5 yr post-grad course from a non-accounting degree. i've looked at it at maquarie and UTS.

some things i don't understand. what is the difference in doing this shortened masters course as opposed to a bachelor of accounting for about 3-4 yrs? and is the only entry requirement getting a gpa of 2.7/4 from the bachelors degree? and is it hard to get in?
good plan, i did the same thing. if your thinking about going down that path, apply for accountancy cadetships, you can always turn them down when the atars come out, and they were surprisingly good about the whole thing saying if i want to change to accountancy in 12 months to come back.

Misyndo

HSC
Oh I know people doing accounting who are interesting, but it's also got dull people. :S
Same as saying that for medicine there are people who are interesting, but it's also got dull people.

Or that there are CEO's who are interesting but dull.
Or that there are PEOPLE IN GENERAL who are interesting but also people who are dull.

spence

HSC
Do you actually want to do med? Cause if you do, then accounting seems like a pretty strange plan B. I'd think there'd be other health related courses that interest you

DeNiMuLiC

HSC
Everyone who does law/med/commerce degrees are gold diggers.

amidoinitrite?

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
Everyone who does law/med/commerce degrees are gold diggers.

amidoinitrite?
Nope. I'm actually not sure what on earth I'll do with my Com degree lol. Everything seems kinda boring. The subs are ok though. Kinda... some... :S

fishfingerz

HSC
lol yes its true. i do love my money.
anyways the only health related course that would provide me any interest (after med science) is med, dentistry or optometry. so if i don't make it into any of those (bad interview or low gamsat score) then my choice would be doing a masters in accounting. easy job. good pay.

there were just some things i don't understand. what is the difference in doing this shortened masters course as opposed to a bachelor of accounting for about 3-4 yrs? and is the only entry requirement getting a gpa of 2.7/4 from the bachelors degree? and is it hard to get in?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Im inclined to think if your backup plan is accounting rather than something a bit more related.. you don't really give a toss for med. Also keep in mind that for the most part, there are many other degrees which have a positive return in much shorter time periods (i.e. quicker to graduate, graduate salaries higher, by the time a med person is a doctor, commerce kids would have significant experience and their post grad qualifications already). Furthermore, accounting whilst it may have the image of being easy to get into, if you also don't really care for it, why would you want to dedicate yourself to a career in that path?

Despite what they tell you (i.e. schools, careers advisors, movies, friends, etc), it isn't that easy to one day stop what you're doing and do a total change of career path. Yes it's possible but when you have other pressures (e.g. do I want to drop from a $150k salary down to a $40k salary or go back to uni? How can I maintain my lifestyle/family/girlfriend), it's a different story.

Raix

HSC
I find that a lot of the people doing commerce, are doing it because: they think it'll get them a job, their parents made them or they have no idea what they want to do.
I fall into the first and second categories, but I'm doing a double.

Accounting does seem pretty easy to do, but doing it just because it looks easy is going to suck when you get a job. A few people I know that did Accounting aren't even working in those kinds of fields.

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
im inclined to think if your backup plan is accounting rather than something a bit more related.. You don't really give a toss for med. Also keep in mind that for the most part, there are many other degrees which have a positive return in much shorter time periods (i.e. Quicker to graduate, graduate salaries higher, by the time a med person is a doctor, commerce kids would have significant experience and their post grad qualifications already). Furthermore, accounting whilst it may have the image of being easy to get into, if you also don't really care for it, why would you want to dedicate yourself to a career in that path?

Despite what they tell you (i.e. Schools, careers advisors, movies, friends, etc), it isn't that easy to one day stop what you're doing and do a total change of career path. Yes it's possible but when you have other pressures (e.g. Do i want to drop from a $150k salary down to a $40k salary or go back to uni? How can i maintain my lifestyle/family/girlfriend), it's a different story.
lol maintain girlfriend+guy with yak/oxe in avatar constantly saying golddigger hahahaha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)