Nervous about rank cut-off. Help? (1 Viewer)

scottje

HSC
N/A
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you guys are able to provide some insight into my potential acceptance or rejection into various courses.

I'm applying for four courses that required a rank between 70 and 77 last year

I meet the prerequisites for each course and have my highest preference being the course that was last year offered at 77, with my lowest being the one that was offered at 70.

My rank is going to be an 87.

My main question is, how do you think my 87 ranking will hold up when taking into account potential intake fluctuation next year?

Oh, and if I am not able to have some required academic results supplied until December (thus missing the early offer rounds), will that affect my chances? I know they'll be in well before the fourteen day requirement for the major round.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
How do you know you'll get 87? Also what academic results are you getting that won't arrive until December? :/

If you do get 87 it's almost certain you'd get into the courses you want.

scottje

HSC
N/A
I'm completing a diploma at an institution (SBIT) that is in partnership with the Universities to which I'm intending on applying and the succesful completion of it with a pass in all units guarantees me an 87, which is really damn cool, haha.

So you think my chances are high? 'We talking 95 % here? Haha.

scottje

HSC
N/A
Come on guys, help give me some peace of mind? I'm dying here, haha.

Kralex

HSC
If they were between 70-77 last year theres a pretty good chance they won't move at all.. With a 70-77 ranking I'd assume they have an average demand. If they do move they're not likely to move by 17 or 10 points so with an 87 you'll be fine.

scottje

HSC
N/A
Thanks for that, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, all of the courses have moved up between 2009 and 2010 but only by two points (rank points), so I guess I'm just worrying for nothing.

Will not having the results in time for the early offer round disadvantage me, do you think?

scottje

HSC
N/A
Oh really? Why is that? Excuse my ignorance, haha.

Do you think I have anything to worry about with regards to getting in, or am I being a pessimist? I have a tendency to be like that.

Thanks for the replies.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Oh really? Why is that? Excuse my ignorance, haha.

Do you think I have anything to worry about with regards to getting in, or am I being a pessimist? I have a tendency to be like that.

Thanks for the replies.
The early rounds are mainly for courses that rely on non-rank-based selection (e.g. music courses that select based on auditions, etc.) or for students who aren't completing any studies that year. Everyone else gets their offers in the main and later rounds.

So yeah, I don't think you have anything to worry about :) Good luck with the rest of your diploma!

scottje

HSC
N/A
Aaah, I see.

Thanks very much for that. I'll try my best to not worry, unfortunately it's not my strong suit! Haha. Thanks, the diploma should go fairly smoothly at least.

This is going to be an agonizing 7-8 months of waiting!

I Study Hard

HSC
I wouldn't agonise over it until December. Instead of worrying about whether the cut off will change focus your efforts into studying.
That said, the people above are right, it will not change more then a few points. If you get an 87 you're safe ;D

scottje

HSC
N/A
Ahh, again, just what I needed to hear.

I'll do just that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)