Any good any extra-curiccular activities that will help me get into medicine? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey, im in year 11 and it wasn't till recently i realised how competitive it is to get into a medicine course and university. first u need the atar then the umat and the interview, urgh D:
but is there any extra curiccular activities that i can take to help me develop my skills for these things. or that the universities see in my application and say 'yup that's pretty good'

also what exactly are in the interviews?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
hey, im in year 11 and it wasn't till recently i realised how competitive it is to get into a medicine course and university. first u need the atar then the umat and the interview, urgh D:
but is there any extra curiccular activities that i can take to help me develop my skills for these things. or that the universities see in my application and say 'yup that's pretty good'

also what exactly are in the interviews?
if you are truly passionate and want to do med for the right reasons then you first need to get an idea of what its like. many people have an unrealistic view of doctors from watching medical dramas. seeing as you are now at the "how can i get in phase" i presume you have a good understanding of the medical profession and what being a doctor involves. you are all set buddy, just gotta get the ATAR and UMAT to go with ur eagerness.

however, if my assumptions are wrong and you are just another try hard who just wants to get in for all the wrong reasons, then you probably dont deserve to get in.

my gut instinct is the 2nd option seeing as any eager/keen med hopeful would take the initiative to search the forums (there have been many threads on this topic already), talk to their local GP or call up medical institutions.

HSC
if you are truly passionate and want to do med for the right reasons then you first need to get an idea of what its like. many people have an unrealistic view of doctors from watching medical dramas. seeing as you are now at the "how can i get in phase" i presume you have a good understanding of the medical profession and what being a doctor involves. you are all set buddy, just gotta get the ATAR and UMAT to go with ur eagerness.

however, if my assumptions are wrong and you are just another try hard who just wants to get in for all the wrong reasons, then you probably dont deserve to get in.

my gut instinct is the 2nd option seeing as any eager/keen med hopeful would take the initiative to search the forums (there have been many threads on this topic already), talk to their local GP or call up medical institutions.

thanks for the awesome advice :)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Nah unlike other degrees, sucking dick won't get u in haha.

If you've done a single day of elective surgery rounds, you'll notice its nothing like RPA. What a simple procedure looks like on tv takes so many hours in real life. Best thing is to shadow a GP they give you a good idea of what every physician must do (hx + examination)

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
just tell them you've watched all seasons of house, greys anatomy, scrubs etc and you like to play the priest role in video games

that shows passion

guaranteed to get you into medicine

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah unlike other degrees, sucking dick won't get u in haha.

If you've done a single day of elective surgery rounds, you'll notice its nothing like RPA. What a simple procedure looks like on tv takes so many hours in real life. Best thing is to shadow a GP they give you a good idea of what every physician must do (hx + examination)
GPs do jack shit, they look at you and they prescribe you panadol.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
GPs do jack shit, they look at you and they prescribe you panadol.
Clearly you're an idiot.

@OP: Virtually any extra curricular activity will potentially help your interviews so long as you can explain what you learnt from the activity and how its relevant to being a doctor. For example: Captaining a sporting side may help you understand what it means to be a team leader and the sacrifices that may have to made. How you potentially solved conflicts between team members etc. A volunteer position in aged care or some other facility may help you gain some perspective of your future work and may show some commitment to interviewers but this shouldn't be considered an absolute necessity. It's also important to understand what it means to become a doctor, the roles and responsibilities that you undertake as well as its differences from other allied health professionals and once you understand that, it'll be easier to pick experiences and create anecdotes for use in your interviews.

Good luck.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Clearly you're an idiot.

@OP: Virtually any extra curricular activity will potentially help your interviews so long as you can explain what you learnt from the activity and how its relevant to being a doctor. For example: Captaining a sporting side may help you understand what it means to be a team leader and the sacrifices that may have to made. How you potentially solved conflicts between team members etc. A volunteer position in aged care or some other facility may help you gain some perspective of your future work and may show some commitment to interviewers but this shouldn't be considered an absolute necessity. It's also important to understand what it means to become a doctor, the roles and responsibilities that you undertake as well as its differences from other allied health professionals and once you understand that, it'll be easier to pick experiences and create anecdotes for use in your interviews.

Good luck.
okay then

GPs are awesome doctors and stop me being sick all the time.

moonblack

HSC
unfortunately its faggot people like you on these forums that make me sick all the time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)