b Psychology + Honours (1 Viewer)

yy-d

HSC
This much I know (please correct me if i'm wrong)~ :

to be a registered psychologist you must at least do an Honours year, however, if I don't meet the ATAR cut off for BPsych (which includes the Honours year), it's possible to do an honours degree in psychology in other programs like science, arts etc.
But entry into honours is competitive.

so, exactly how competitive is it? (say for example, at usyd)

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
To be a registered psychologist you must do a postgraduate degree of a minimum of 2 years, or equivalent of 2 years APA recognised training in the field, after an undergraduate degree. You will not be accepted into the postgrad course if you do not do Honours.

Basically, don't screw around in your uni course. Get a high level of D or HD over your core topics and you should get in fine.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
^^ the above is correct, you must do honours so you can get into a masters (2 years) to be a registered psychologist. You will be studying for 6 years before you can call yourself a psychologist.

spence

HSC
One of my tutors (at USyd) told me you need to get an average of about 70 to get in. That's for second and third year psych units only (third year are weighted double). The exact marks to get in vary from year to year though

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Also, Clinical Psych (Postgrad) at USyd is 3 years, not 2. Doctorate level without the doctorate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)