diffrence b/w combined degrees and double degrees (1 Viewer)

stylishh

HSC
N/A
whats the difference between combined degrees and double degrees?

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
combined degree= do two degrees
double degree= do the same degree twice

stylishh

HSC
N/A
which one is better?which one has more advantages?which one has more career options?

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
double degree, where you do the same degree twice. when you do things twice you get better, plus this will show employers you are persistent and good with routine

izzy88

HSC
which one is better?which one has more advantages?which one has more career options?
doing a combined degree generally means you finish two degrees a year earlier than had you done two degrees separately. It means nothing to your career options, because either way, you come out with two degrees (and two separate certificates).

eg.
Combined Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws = 5 years
(Arts degree (with some law subjects) for three years then final two years of law degree)

therefore total 5 yrs.

OR

Bachelor of Arts (3 yrs)

then

Bachelor of Laws (3yrs)

therefore, total 6 yrs.

you skip a year by doing combined, but you still come out with two valid degrees either way. Its really up to you.

edit; sorry for confusing people. As ajdlinux says below, combined and double is the same thing. My explanation above is more for the difference between doing a combined degree, or doing two degrees one after each other.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Double = 2 different degrees, where some subjects of one can count towards the other.

Such as Commerce/Law, Comm/Engineering, Comm/Arts, Comm/Eco, Comm/Science, Engineering/Science, etc...

lol @ double = doing it twice.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Double = 2 different degrees, where some subjects of one can count towards the other.

Such as Commerce/Law, Comm/Engineering, Comm/Arts, Comm/Eco, Comm/Science, Engineering/Science, etc...

lol @ double = doing it twice.
m8 im gunna do a civil engineering degree and then do it again so i can have a double degree just for da lulz.

Pyramid

HSC
lol this has me confused :S

Izzy's description of combined is the same as iRuler's description of double degrees. So ajdlinux is correct...I hope

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
doing a combined degree generally means you finish two degrees a year earlier than had you done two degrees separately. It means nothing to your career options, because either way, you come out with two degrees (and two separate certificates).

eg.
Combined Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws = 5 years
(Arts degree (with some law subjects) for three years then final two years of law degree)

therefore total 5 yrs.

OR

Bachelor of Arts (3 yrs)

then

Bachelor of Laws (3yrs)

therefore, total 6 yrs.

you skip a year by doing combined, but you still come out with two valid degrees either way. Its really up to you.
If the degrees are similar, then you can usually credit a year of electives towards the 2nd degree in that definition. That's what a combined degree is really: A 2 degrees (a double degree) with common electives. This shortens the length by a year usually.

That's also why you don't see some degree combinations offered in combined degrees (e.g. maybe vet science and fine arts? Speech Pathology and engineering? That sort of thing).

To answer the OP: They are pretty much the same thing in most places. If anything, the administration in some faculties might be different.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
lol this has me confused :S

Izzy's description of combined is the same as iRuler's description of double degrees. So ajdlinux is correct...I hope
I'm always correct :p

If the degrees are similar, then you can usually credit a year of electives towards the 2nd degree in that definition. That's what a combined degree is really: A 2 degrees (a double degree) with common electives. This shortens the length by a year usually.

That's also why you don't see some degree combinations offered in combined degrees (e.g. maybe vet science and fine arts? Speech Pathology and engineering? That sort of thing).
The reason that was given to me when I enquired about doing a BA/BSEng at ANU was that they don't run a program unless there's sufficient demand - it creates administrative burden (I assume they mean writing course plans, notifying UAC, setting cutoffs, handling admissions etc.) which they don't like unless there's a few people doing it. Otherwise they're fairly happy to accommodate.

So I suspect the reason you wouldn't see Speech Pathology/Engineering is that there'd only be half a dozen people in the state who would want to do it.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
combined degree = getting combining units for 2 degrees but ending up being shit at both
double = doing 1 degree twice but being uber good at it

thats how it is. dont listen to the noobs who say "same shit different smell" or equivalent.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
combined degree = getting combining units for 2 degrees but ending up being shit at both
double = doing 1 degree twice but being uber good at it

thats how it is. dont listen to the noobs who say "same shit different smell" or equivalent.
So you will be both shit at medicine and surgery?
Already knew that but coz your a fob.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)