Studying Psychology (1 Viewer)

suwandy

HSC
N/A
Hello everyone,

I have actually graduated from University with a Bachelor's degree in Software Engineering from UNSW.

While working full-time I have been thinking about taking up study again, but this time it will be part-time study and this will be on pursuing a passion which I have had for a long time but honestly never thought about actually going to university and pursuing a career doing what I love, i.e. counselling.

I knew of a few of my friends currently studying Psychology full-time:
- One lady I knew is studying Psychology remotely from Sydney (i.e. online) at Charles Sturt University which she claimed is very good university. Her situation's similar to mine in that she's graduated from another degree (IT) in another university overseas.

From what she told me, I need to take up 2 years of Graduate Diploma and then 2 years of Master's degree (Full-time!) before I can take up a license to be a practitioner. If I am going to do this part-time, it may take me at least 8 years before I am allowed to be a practitioner.

Now, I am both concerned and not-concerned with the amount of time it will take to complete the degree. On one side, not-concerned because I am definitely prepared to go through the 8 years to achieve something I like.
On the other though, I am concerned because due to family reasons, I might have to leave Australia soon and I wish to be able to find a good university (at least APR accredited) that may let me complete this sooner.

Can you please suggest any possible universities that will let me complete the degree in a shorter amount of time? I am looking forward for advice and tips too.

Thanks

dolbinau

HSC
If you want to be a *clinical Psychologist* then you do need the study (though note that you can also do 2 years of supervised experience instead of a Masters degree - at least you used to, which may be suitable).

But you don't actually need a masters degree to be a 'counsellor'.

suwandy

HSC
N/A
Hey, thanks for the reply.
If you want to be a *clinical Psychologist* then you do need the study (though note that you can also do 2 years of supervised experience instead of a Masters degree - at least you used to, which may be suitable).
What do you mean when you are referring to *Clinical Psychologist*?

But you don't actually need a masters degree to be a 'counsellor'.
Really? You don't? So I only need to do the first 2 years of the Graduate Diploma and that's it?

Thank you

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
A counsellor can work in lots of places like schools... A clinical psychologist works in the mental health profession like in hospitals

suwandy

HSC
N/A
A counsellor can work in lots of places like schools... A clinical psychologist works in the mental health profession like in hospitals
Ah, great, makes sense. Thank you.

What about opening your own clinic / office though? Say, being a consultant counsellor where I will have the flexibility of handling my own clients from multiple backgrounds, e.g. offices / schools, or even just general public that comes knocking on my door?

Also, would you be able to point me to a link detailing information like these? Also, which university would you recommend in general to do what I mentioned above?

Thanks very much in advance for your kind replies.

amirite

HSC
Ah, great, makes sense. Thank you.

What about opening your own clinic / office though? Say, being a consultant counsellor where I will have the flexibility of handling my own clients from multiple backgrounds, e.g. offices / schools, or even just general public that comes knocking on my door?

Also, would you be able to point me to a link detailing information like these? Also, which university would you recommend in general to do what I mentioned above?

Thanks very much in advance for your kind replies.

Lol clinical psychologists work in clinics...

You can basically rent a room in a practice and work out of there as an independent person.

suwandy

HSC
N/A
Ah yep, it would have been my original plan then. It does mean that I would need to take on Master's degree / 2 years supervised experience to be able to be a full-fledged practitioner right?

With my original question though, anyone can recommend a good university to study this in? I'm based in Eastern Suburbs Sydney near UNSW. I might be thinking of online learning too.

Any advantages / dis-advantages of doing onsite learning vs online learning? Advice please?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)