Advanced Mathematics - what's it like?? (1 Viewer)

anime05

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone out there is doing an Advanced Mathematics degree right now or is planning to and could shed some light as to what it's like.

I'm considering doing Advanced Mathematics, whether it be USyd or UNSW isn't that big a problem for me, I was just wondering what kind of job opportunities are out there, or what are people doing Advanced Mathematics hoping to do in the future??

I haven't done much research, but I know that at UNSW they offer a number of programs: Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics and Quantitative Risk.
The latter, Statistics and Quantitative Risk I assume you'd work in finance, with businesses, or in the case of Quantitative Risk become an actuary as it's combined with a Bachelor of Commerce.
I'm also guessing that you could becoming a stock broker of some sort?

With Applied Mathematics, I think you can go into things like Meteorology and Oceanography??

Finally, I'm mainly leaning toward Pure Mathematics, as I just really love theoretical stuff. I was thinking, that if I did do Pure Mathematics, that I'd become a math lecturer/professor or something, but my friend told me that that takes years and years of studying. Most of whom don't even become lecturers because lecturing jobs at universities are so stable, that a position doesn't open up unless someone retires or something. But what other opportunities are out there, with Pure Mathematics?

If someone could shed some light I'd really appreciate it :D

dvse

HSC
N/A
If you want to ensure employment after undergrad combine maths with commerce or engineering.

Another path is to get a PhD and then look for higher level research type jobs. These are rare but can often be more interesting. One such area is what might be broadly called "scientific computing" and involves things like optimisation, numerical methods for differential equations etc. This crops up all over the place in engineering and finance.

After a maths undergrad many places will be happy to take you for an economics or finance phd (not so sure about engineering), so keep that in mind also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)