How do people do law AND engineering at the same time? (1 Viewer)

WannaBeLaw

HSC
hey guys, i was talking to a guy at melbourne uni earlier today on the ovals. anyway, he told me he's doing law AND engineering at the same time and obviously, at melbourne uni. i was so shocked to hear him say that i didn't know what what to ask him.

these are the two most intensive degrees by far. even if he doesn't do anything outside uni, i just can't imagine how a person can do that much work every week.

what's the secret?

HSC
N/A
mixture of good genes (intelligence), dedication and determination.

the latter half being a product of environment.

bio_nut

HSC
Not spending all his time making whiny threads on bos maybe?

I'd say med is far more intensive than law, mate. Five day week, all day, plus study outside.

Seriously, stop making whiny threads about law and stuff and go fucking study for once.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a pretty intense combo, all the readings and essays and roting of Law, mixed with the mathematical complexity of Engineering. I have a friend doing the equivalent at Monash, he says it's a struggle.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
law is a 'break' from engineering if anything lolol

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Do they do a combination of law/engo subjects at the same time, or law one semester and engo the next idk how these things work given there would be no common subjects.

I imagine it'd be a time sink.

WannaBeLaw

HSC
Do they do a combination of law/engo subjects at the same time, or law one semester and engo the next idk how these things work given there would be no common subjects.

i dunno. i think he does a full load.

how many hours a day would he be spending studying??

undalay

HSC
i dunno. i think he does a full load.

how many hours a day would he be spending studying??
For a straight eng degree you normally do 24 credit poitns of ENG.

For a combined degree of ENG you normally do 18 points of eng and 6 credit points of law per semester. (For my ENG at usyd).

It's not more work, he'd probably have less contact hours than a straight eng student.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I don't know if it matters. Ultimately, you only do 4 subjects/semester like everyone else. So the 'intensity' shouldn't be any worse than a single engineering degree or a single law degree. Besides, law's contact hours are pretty sparse, so my thinking is that law/eng combined would be lighter than a single eng degree per semester wise.

The only problem I can think of is that to do law/eng you will have to be good at 'humanities' and 'maths/science', and not many people are good at both at the same time.

EDIT: i see undalay just made the same point :)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
The only problem I can think of is that to do law/eng you will have to be good at 'humanities' and 'maths/science', and not many people are good at both at the same time.
You also have to be able to switch between the two constantly. Although I haven't found that particularly difficult in Arts/Sci as yet.

WannaBeLaw

HSC
For a straight eng degree you normally do 24 credit poitns of ENG.

For a combined degree of ENG you normally do 18 points of eng and 6 credit points of law per semester. (For my ENG at usyd).

It's not more work, he'd probably have less contact hours than a straight eng student.
oh ok

how much time do you spend on your eng degree inside and out of class?

undalay

HSC
oh ok

how much time do you spend on your eng degree inside and out of class?

I would say first year actually has higher amount of contact hours than second year (for USYD eng).

2nd year 2nd semester I have about 20 hours a week normal load of contact hours.

1 year I had about 24 contact hours a week.

The "suggested" study load is 3 hours per subjects, so 12 hours total.

So that's 36 hours of recommended work.

Although I personally haven't done nearly that much.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd say med is far more intensive than law, mate. Five day week, all day, plus study outside.
law is a 'break' from engineering if anything lolol
In terms of contact hours, Law is most definitely a break from engineering. As for content - I can't comment, I've no idea how Engineering is. First semester law was generally not as difficult as most people make it out to be, however, I'm guessing it gets harder. :p

Engineering has about 24 hours a week, whereas someone who does Arts/Law (like me) will have somewhere between 10-13 contact hours.

Combination - 18 credit points of Engineering and 6 credit points of Law. It's pretty much the same for any combination of Combined Law. (So Arts/Law would be 18 CPs of Arts and 6 CPs of law).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)