UPP (University Preparation Program) UNSW (1 Viewer)

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Hi

Had anybody here gained entry to UNSW through this UPP course?
UNSW: The University of New South Wales - Sydney Australia - FUTURE STUDENTS
From that website,you only need to complete 2 courses,study skills and electives (sciences or humanities)

How hard is it?
Do they really consider previous qualifications before being accepted to a course in UNSW or just the mark from UPP?
I only had done year 11 in 2006 and nothing else and I'd like to do Commerce/Software Engineering at UNSW
It needs 95ish ATAR.

Is it a new course? I couldn't find any information about this course except from UNSW website,and I read here and conclude that most people here gain mature entry to university through TPC
How come they don't gain mature entry to UNSW via UPP?
TPC is 1 year to complete full time while UPP is only one semester to complete full time

I have already sent an email to UNSW admission office and they replied that it's already late but I still can submit my application because the program is not full yet.

So, I only had done year 11 in 2006,but I had done high school overseas in 2003.
I am 25 years old right now and an Australian citizen.
I am planning to do Commerce/Software Engineering at UNSW
I am already enrolled in TPC at Tafe but I need 1.5 year to complete it because I am just starting this course in this mid year,while with UPP hopefully I will be doing Commerce at UNSW in the beginning of 2011
I am confidence with TPC because I know the unit subjects and the mark needed to gain entry to Commerce UNSW while I don't know anything about UPP.

Which one is the best for me?
To be honest my English is not very good,I reckon that will be my problem in UPP course but I am willing to study hard

felixxy

HSC
N/A
Hi
its felixxy. i received your message but the system stopped me from replying. anyway, i usually spend my monday and friday afternoon in ultimo tafe learnspace, hope to see you there
best regards

nthaemoglobin

HSC
Hi Dhampoet.
I just did the UPP in March 2010 and am now starting a bachelor degree at UNSW.
The UPP is really convenient as it is a much less time consuming course (3 months) than many others that enable students to get into university.
If you want to get into commerce you have to do the math elective. It is not extremely hard math, they just go through the course at a quick pace so you need to work hard to keep up, but if you do all the exercises they give you, you should do fine.
With the UOSS (english) part of the course -it is just alot of work if you are not used to writing essays and analysing texts. I don't like essays so I found this hard, but others in my class found it ok.
Its not really an impossible course to excel at. The math component is easy to do really well if you put the work in, as with the UOSS part. So if you are willing to do that, you will be fine!
Good Luck!

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Thank you for answering
There are limited information about this course on the internet

My only problem is spoken English. I am fine with other parts of english such as writing,listening, and reading although I have to improve my grammar.
Are there lots of talks involved in this course?

nthaemoglobin

HSC
There is one presentation that you have to do. This is one of the assessments (you can find them in the course information booklet on the uoss website - REGZ9000: University Orientation & Study Skills subject: The Learning Centre UNSW)
That is the only assessment that requires speaking. In the tutorials about halfway through the semester, you start discussing the readings.
Everything else is written assessments. Tutorials are a mixture of lecture material, group work and discussions.
So if you are not confident with speaking, just rehearse your presentation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)