University ATAR cut offs (1 Viewer)

speedofsound

HSC
Okay, I know people always say that reaching the cut off or being above the cut off doesn't always necessarily mean that you will get into the course. To what extent is this actually true?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's hard to say as a broad statement. It depends on the variability of the course, how much the ATAR for it changes. It's also determined by the demand this year.

There are other factors as well.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well for Pharm/Optom/Med (and other med related things), there's another aptitude test of some sort (STAT or UMAT). So often the ATAR requirements for those subjects are N/A. Also, being above the 2010 cutoff does not guarantee a place in the 2011 university cohort. This is because ATAR cutoffs change from year to year, based upon supply and demand (as what Absolutezero has stated).

Example, for 2009 entry, UNSW Combined Law was 99.40, people in the HSC class of 2009 who received 99.50 were stoked at having 'made' UNSW Law. However, this was not the case, as when the offers were released on January 20th, they were severely disappointed because the cutoff had been raised to 99.55 for 2010 entry.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
that will teach them arrogant law wannabes

dodgy bastards
Please stop being so arrogant and annoying around these topics, Bored of Fail. You're becoming rather just frustrating and boring.

In relation to the actual question. Most courses shouldn't change too in terms of the ATAR cut-off from year to year. You would generally be quite safe if you were 1 ATAR+ above the cutoff, but that is only from what I've seen and these are for the courses in general demand. Not Law, Med etc. (the list could be endless).

I hoping I can make my course, if not, my back up.

maths94

HSC
Please stop being so arrogant and annoying around these topics, Bored of Fail. You're becoming rather just frustrating and boring.

In relation to the actual question. Most courses shouldn't change too in terms of the ATAR cut-off from year to year. You would generally be quite safe if you were 1 ATAR+ above the cutoff, but that is only from what I've seen and these are for the courses in general demand. Not Law, Med etc. (the list could be endless).

That is madd skills telling off people and l aint being sarcastic if your a mod i dnt know your doing a good job of it

speedofsound

HSC

Alright, thanks for your help, guys. I'm just curious because the cut off for mine last year was 98.50 for BA Arts (Media and Communications) at Sydney (and I think 98.45 the year before) and I got 99.25, so I was thinking I should (hopefully) be relatively safe (touch wood). I'm not sure about the overall demand for this course, but I think it's a relatively small cohort in comparison to other courses.

Paradox.101

HSC
Aquawhite;5240108Most courses shouldn't change [b said:
too[/b] in terms of the ATAR cut-off from year to year. You would generally be quite safe if you were 1 ATAR+ above the cutoff.
I'm in that sort of scenario albeit with bonus points.
I've got an ATAR of 88 and achieved a total of 4 bonus points through UNSW. I'm looking at Journalism @ UNSW which has a cut-off of 91. Would you think bonus points are reliable in this case?...Also worried about the fluctuating of ATAR's year to year...Oh well, I have back-up plans.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You should be alright, as long as you definitely qualify for the bonus points.

sexii_Can_I

In your shoe closet, contemplating life =)
HSC
What are the chances of getting into a Communications/International Studies course at UTS with an ATAR 0.65 below last year's cut-off? I'm really hoping I can scrape through as I have heard stories of people getting into courses despite being a few points below the cut-off, but as to what courses they were and why they were accepted, I don't have a clue.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You should have a good chance of getting in. You've got both the chance of it being lowered, and the possibility that those who do get in don't accept. 0.65 is pretty close to the mark.

ai.s2

HSC
N/A
What about if you're 2.5 under the ATAR cut off even after the inclusion of bonus points? What are the chances of getting offers for second/final round for commerce @ UNSW? At the moment I'm just really hoping I can scrape into the course I wanted, but I'm really doubtful because 2.5 is quite a lot.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
First round is probably unlikely. Second or final is possible though. You might however need to consider a different uni, and then transfer in later if you really want UNSW.

ai.s2

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the fast reply. I know first round is pretty much impossible so I'm just crossing my fingers for the rest. I do have back up but yeah. How often do people get offers during second round?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've been up all night, coming on BOS every so often for new threads. :)

From what I hear it's pretty common. I don't have the stats on me though, as to how many it actually is.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Yeh, this is really worrying me.

I want to do Commerce at UNSW, my ATAR get's me .7 over the 96 required this year (with bonus points).

Does anyone think that the ATAR cut off could jump more than .7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)