Prestige or the course? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So anyway I got my ATAR of 95.40... and my top four preferences are (with 2009 cutoffs):

B Science (Adv Maths) - Sydney - 98.00
B Science (Adv Maths) - UNSW - 96.40
B Science (Advanced) - Sydney - 95.00
B Science (Advanced) - UNSW - 94.00

Now based on this I can only get to my third and fourth preference. Obviously, I'd really like to get into my Advanced Maths course preference. However, I was nominated by my school for the UNSW Academic Award so I can get into my second preference.

I talked to a current Sydney Uni student and he said to me: "Don't go to UNSW! Sydney is prestigious! Prestige! Prestige! Go for the prestige!"

So my question is: should I go for the prestige (thereby taking the Science Advanced and 'ensuring' - somehow - I get admission into Advanced Maths by superior marks in my first year) or should I go for the degree (that is, taking the AAA offer and going into UNSW that way)?

Now the UNSW course for Advanced Maths is 4 years and Sydney's is 3... and that confuzzles me because to my mind: "Same degree name. Same stuff." But others, actual university students, don't seem to share that sentiment. And so I get confuzzled... <_<

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place...

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Actual university students don't have their degrees yet and hence, have not experienced first-hand what value their degree actually holds. Take the UNSW offer, you seem mighty interested in Adv. Maths. :)

suling

HSC
Who even cares about prestige? Go for the course you actually want to do, I think. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I seem interested in it because I'm interested in modelling. That is, mathematical modelling. =P

That'll work better at parties:

Random girl at club: So what do you do?
Me: I'm a modeller.
Random girl at club: Don't you mean a 'model'?
Me: No, I'm a mathematical modeller.
*Random girl leaves*

I find that two round conversation would be better than this:

Random girl at club: So what do you do?
Me: I'm a mathematician.
*Random girl at club leaves*

=)

Nah, just interested in the maths. I have to appease the Asian in me.

And then to appease the writer in me, I'll write stuff as well. =P

mecramarathon

HSC
it comes down to personal taste

try to talk to family friends/siblings of friends/careers adviser or the ppl at the open day in Jan who're doing the courses and weigh up both unis

usyd i guess is "prestigious" because of its rich history, well established courses and alumni haha

blackratpoo

HSC
the aesthetic is different. UNSW has a very crowded, asian culture (not been racist just stating the facts). USYD is more liberal, interacial and has a much better social life.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW and Sydney have both open days on January 5... so, I don't know. Attend both (open days) and figure it out?

---

EDIT: I figured that Sydney has a better social life - I went to their open day and it was very vivid and spacious. I haven't been to a UNSW campus - but from what I've heard I haven't really gotten a vibe that they have much to do outside of work.

And I remember being on #bos pre-HSC result release and I remember discussing which had more hot chicks. We didn't end up figuring out which university did have more, but the general sentiment was 'you'll find them in arts'.

Last edited:

janchanisek

Durian
HSC
the aesthetic is different. UNSW has a very crowded, asian culture (not been racist just stating the facts). USYD is more liberal, interacial and has a much better social life.
you're right
YEP so agree with the above! btw if you didnt know, UNSW actually stands for U Never See Whites.... lol nothing wrong with that, im asian myself, but yehhh totally unbiased i reckon usyd is better as a uni environment and sure the clubs and societies program at usyd is much better run than unsw =]

there are vast differences between the different faculties within unis also
for example unsw engineering is regarded as superior to usyd so the community there is better whereas usyd might have a better science faculty
and yeh different faculties are different so its hard to compare overall... engo and commerce are generally considered better at unsw, science and arts and law and med at usyd =]

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hmm... I'm not sure anymore. But I suppose this is the better type of 'I'm not sure' - because it's an educated "I'm not sure" instead of derp derp "I'm not sure".

I am taking a Science degree so it would be better to go to... Sydney in that respect.

Still, I suppose I could talk to the Sydney Uni people at the info day and figure stuff out. I mean, Science (Advanced) and Science (Advanced Maths) can't be all that different - it's just taking similar subjects. And it doesn't help if you can major in "Mathematics" in Science (Advanced)... which is what I probably would have majored in if I had done Advanced Maths <_<

SO CONFUSED *insert psyduck here*

iTz Osky

HSC
So anyway I got my ATAR of 95.40... and my top four preferences are (with 2009 cutoffs):

B Science (Adv Maths) - Sydney - 98.00
B Science (Adv Maths) - UNSW - 96.40
B Science (Advanced) - Sydney - 95.00
B Science (Advanced) - UNSW - 94.00

Now based on this I can only get to my third and fourth preference. Obviously, I'd really like to get into my Advanced Maths course preference. However, I was nominated by my school for the UNSW Academic Award so I can get into my second preference.

I talked to a current Sydney Uni student and he said to me: "Don't go to UNSW! Sydney is prestigious! Prestige! Prestige! Go for the prestige!"

So my question is: should I go for the prestige (thereby taking the Science Advanced and 'ensuring' - somehow - I get admission into Advanced Maths by superior marks in my first year) or should I go for the degree (that is, taking the AAA offer and going into UNSW that way)?

Now the UNSW course for Advanced Maths is 4 years and Sydney's is 3... and that confuzzles me because to my mind: "Same degree name. Same stuff." But others, actual university students, don't seem to share that sentiment. And so I get confuzzled... <_<

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place...
haha, the first thing that comes to mind when you mention prestige was COD, I must go outside some time :D

Anyway, in my opinion you should do what you want. If that means advanced maths, then by all means have a go at UNSW! While prestige DOES help, doing something you want to do will allow you to excel in it, as cliche as that sounds.

Regarding my own personal experience of both unis from the open days i attended, without a doubt i prefered USYD. IF I don't get into med, then comm/law at usyd is the obvious option, above comm/law at unsw in which i am already guaranteed a spot (much like you, i got nominated by my school). Of course, I have been offered a merit scholarship for the school of business at usyd haha so thats an easy decision.

Socially, I certainly got a far better vibe at usyd then unsw. In my opinion, USYD has a more social, easy going and fun culture, with a beautiful campus. UNSW seems way too populated with asians - im asian myself - and everybody i spoke to at the open day were cold and dispassionate, as opposed to the "we want you" attitude of USYD. So weigh up the pros and cons, and do what YOU want to do; forget about "prestige".

OF course, if I was you I'd still leave your preferences as they are, and not "go" for anything, because you never know what might happen. Leave your order, and wait till january; after all, you made that well thought-out decision a long time ago.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, yeah I'm Asian too... despite what "Extension 2 English" in my subjects says. =P

So I suppose this topic should be: "vibe" or "course"?

iTz Osky

HSC
Well, yeah I'm Asian too... despite what "Extension 2 English" in my subjects says. =P

So I suppose this topic should be: "vibe" or "course"?
i would take vibe over course, anyday. I would want to enjoy what i was doing. If i hadn't gotten a better scholarship at usyd, i still definitely would have preferred it over unsw, and the two open days only further clarified that to me. The two unis attitudes are a gulf apart.

EDIT: this is despite unsw being right next door to where i live, and usyd a 40 minute commute.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i would take vibe over course, anyday. I would want to enjoy what i was doing. If i hadn't gotten a better scholarship at usyd, i still definitely would have preferred it over unsw, and the two open days only further clarified that to me. The two unis attitudes are a gulf apart.

EDIT: this is despite unsw being right next door to where i live, and usyd a 40 minute commute.
True, true. I'll take your word about UNSW... anyone else want to confirm/deny it?

I'd like sitting in the Quadrangle and saying to myself, "This is where the Chaser did that Shahad song =P"

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
True, true. I'll take your word about UNSW... anyone else want to confirm/deny it?

I'd like sitting in the Quadrangle and saying to myself, "This is where the Chaser did that Shahad song =P"
YOU ONLY GOT 95.40?!?!?!?! I was sure you would be one of the 99ers. Unlucky mate :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I had two months out of study due to medical factors. Nice rebound, methinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)