B science (advanced mathematics) (1 Viewer)

LOLA!!!!

HSC
N/A
Is the B science (advanced mathematics) course difficult? Is it harder than areas such as engineering?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Engineering is pretty difficult as well I gather.

LOLA!!!!

HSC
N/A
I was considering doing b commerce/b science(advanced mathematics) But i don't want to do something i will struggle with. I did extension two maths and got a band 5, extension one and i got 93 (band 6).I heard the maths in that course is quite difficult.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I got 82 and 83 for my Maths Extensions and I'm adamantly going there anyway. HSC maths =/= university maths.

But as the HSC-esque advice says, go try it - and if you don't like it, switch degrees or change units. Of course maths in that course is very difficult - and really, with that attitude, you probably shouldn't be doing it anyway.

The best attitude to have - in my opinion - i: "Yes, it's hard. But I'm going to go in there, and try my hardest - and if I don't get the marks I need, then so be it."

You seem to be: "Yes, it's hard... hmm, I'm not sure - is it scary? Oh, maybe not.. I'm having second guesses"

I say that because this is Advanced Mathematics - you need drive and passion in the subject to even consider it. Skill and prowess in it may be natural, but hard work from the drive and passion will do wonders.

If you don't have the drive, just do normal Mathematics.

That's what I read, and was told.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
If you choose that subject, you'll be studying with people who live, eat and breathe mathematics. This might make it hard to cope unless you have a lot of drive. Just Saiyan..

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I got 82 and 83 for my Maths Extensions and I'm adamantly going there anyway. HSC maths =/= university maths.

But as the HSC-esque advice says, go try it - and if you don't like it, switch degrees or change units. Of course maths in that course is very difficult - and really, with that attitude, you probably shouldn't be doing it anyway.

The best attitude to have - in my opinion - i: "Yes, it's hard. But I'm going to go in there, and try my hardest - and if I don't get the marks I need, then so be it."

You seem to be: "Yes, it's hard... hmm, I'm not sure - is it scary? Oh, maybe not.. I'm having second guesses"

I say that because this is Advanced Mathematics - you need drive and passion in the subject to even consider it. Skill and prowess in it may be natural, but hard work from the drive and passion will do wonders.

If you don't have the drive, just do normal Mathematics.

That's what I read, and was told.
100% agreed. You obviously didn't get that info from that ridiculous book of yours.

LOLA!!!!

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the help guys, I really do like maths, which is why i chose to do four units for the hsc and i enjoyed it alot, but i guess i don't wan't to regret choosing it.Shadowdude are you applying for the same course at unsw?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Obviously, iSplicer. The book isn't that specific, but if it was - I may or may not have quoted it like scripture =P

NewiJapper

HSC
I'm thinking of doing Math as a co-major in my 2nd and 3rd years if I find 1st year maths interesting and if I'm capable enough :p

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I wonna do this course, stupid ATAR of mine, doesn't wonna let me in. FUUUUU.

Actuarial/Quant Risk

UBER WIN IN FINANCE INDUSTRY...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I wonna do this course, stupid ATAR of mine, doesn't wonna let me in. FUUUUU.

Actuarial/Quant Risk

UBER WIN IN FINANCE INDUSTRY...
Don't do that: Actuarial/Quant Risk. That's essentially the same thing!

It's like doing two same degrees...

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Don't do that: Actuarial/Quant Risk. That's essentially the same thing!

It's like doing two same degrees...
I've read that Quant is more geared to risk analysis in banks, whereas actuarial is insurance risk.

But yeh I can see the similarities.
But your job prospects would be phenomenal! $$$

deterministic

HSC

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
First year is fine - programming is the only thing you should worry about (YOU SHOULD DO IT) as it pwns people who have just left highschool and don't know programming (due to motivation.)

Second year I failed multivariate calculus - was just the case of not making sure I could do double and triple integrals, polar transformation integrals and co-variance matricies.
I also failed Fundamental Concepts in Mathematics - abstract algebra is the hardest thing I have done in university to date. You need to know/remember how to struct GOOD proofs with epsilons and deltas.

Don't do the quant major as no one gets a job in a bank after uni anyway - you need honours +.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I was considering doing b commerce/b science(advanced mathematics) But i don't want to do something i will struggle with. I did extension two maths and got a band 5, extension one and i got 93 (band 6).I heard the maths in that course is quite difficult.
Why not? Challenge yourself, bitch.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
I hope the cutoff for Adv Maths at USyd lowers by a bit this year.. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)