Why is everyone going to UNSW? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
I put USyd Law as my first preference but it seems as though everyone is going to UNSW Law instead.

Now I'd be really pissed if UNSW overtook USyd Law in terms of ATAR HAHA

No, seriously..I would.

So just to make me feel better, everyone here that is going to USyd Law post here so it makes me feel better.

Thank you.

PS. Yes, I did choose USyd because of the prestige factor and the pretty building.

PSS. I am not trolling :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sydney? Prestige?

Yeah sure it has prestige but it isn't very good.

I noticed that Sydney wasn't bragging about its rank and I realised why when I saw its abysmal rating in the Good Uni Guide 2011.

Before, I was so intent in getting into Sydney. And then I read this:

- Teaching quality: 1 star
- Graduate satisfaction: 1 star
- Getting a job: 2 stars
- Positive graduate outcomes: 3 stars
- Generic skills taught: 3 stars
- Staff qualifications: 3 stars

1 star means bottom 20% of universities in Australia, 2 stars means top 80% of universities, 3 stars means top 60%. Now, I just changed to UNSW which doesn't drop to 3 stars in any Status and Standing ranking, Educational Experience or Graduate Outcomes (out of twelve categories spread between them - seven are five star rankings, compared to Sydney's four).

Also for Law, here's what the Good Uni Guide says:

Sydney Law:

What graduates say... Teaching quality? Average. Generic skills taught? Average. Overall satisfaction? Average (compared to Law graduates at other universities).
18% of graduates are still seeking work 4 months after graduating - average.
Average starting salary? $64 559. Better.

UNSW Law:

What graduates say... Teaching quality? Better. Generic skills? Better. Overall satisfaction? Better.
0% of graduates are looking for work 4 months after graduating. Needless to say, that got 'better' - in the three point scale they use: Worse/Average/Better.
Average stating salary? $56 500. Better.

So UNSW Law > Sydney Law, from a ratings perspective - by faculty, and by university.

So that's partly the reason everyone is flocking to UNSW Law.

Carl14

HSC
One thing you do have to consider is that Sydney's prestige is based more on its age than an indication of its current quality. Most judges of the HC, SCs and QCs and other such high ranking and senior positions only had USyd to choose as their law school in NSW (It was the only law school in NSW until UNSW came along in the 1970's along with other law schools and actually introduced some competition). Michael Kirby was speaking to us at a UNSW Law function and I think he pretty much said he would have liked UNSW law but Sydney was the only law school that existed at his time (he called it the 'university that shall not be named'). Even then, for a school of only 40 years old, UNSW has really distinguished itself as a leading law school and continues to grow and develop whilst many see Sydney as simply resting on its laurels, being too traditional and lacking the progressive edge offered by UNSW. At that, I was really stuck between UNSW and USyd and even now I still am unsure though theres nothing I can do about it now. Either way, you cant really lose between these two schools and it does come down to personal preference. One thing which I dont understand however is why so many people seemingly evaluate a university based on the quality of its architecture...

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
... or, read the Good Uni Guide - or "The Bible" - and figure out that the two universities are very much differentiable and that once reading that, it's a very easy choice.

I know, I'm very much in love with my Good Uni Guide... especially the cover girl. /me waves to her

HSC
the thing with the good uni guide..i wouldnt trust it cos it seems toobasic..i dont really know how to explain it?
it's like..the my school thing..i dont have anything against my school..but i wouldnt believe the rankings and further info is close to accurate

Last edited:

Carl14

HSC
I don’t mean to 'blaspheme' but I am just really skeptical about these guides...It makes the whole process too easy and black and white. From what I've come to learn, choosing a uni is very much a personal and individual preference based on a multitude of factors which really can't be quantified into some rating out of five stars... but then again I have a tendency to overcomplicate the whole decision making process. At that, I chose UNSW because after talking to the staff and the students, I liked it more though the Sydney staff and students were also very nice.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, it seems basic - because you have to cater for the Std. English/Gen Maths students (stereotypically) who aren't very good readers at all and will find most numbers and facts confusing.

The thing for me is to look at where they're getting the information from. Information on 'what graduates say' are taken by Course Experience Questionnaires or something handed out by an independent organisation - Graduate Careers Australia. The information on say, staff qualifications and that stuff is done by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations. Other info is provided by the universities themselves.

It seems very reputable for me. It has to be to be called "The Bible".

They also say in the guide to not just base the rankings off that as well. Things like sport, social activities, extra-curricular things are not covered in that guide. Those things you have to find yourself. The GUG is merely an extra helper along the way.

And school rankings are based on one thing only: HSC results for that year only. That is riddled with inaccuracy. Like my school is now 280 because we had a fantastic year, last year we had 1 Band 6-er and we were 580 or something. This year's HSC will probably be around that as well - I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
HSC
I was referring to MySchool..the one which attempts to compare schools with similar characteristics..such as the income of one's family?

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Sydney? Prestige?

Yeah sure it has prestige but it isn't very good.

I noticed that Sydney wasn't bragging about its rank and I realised why when I saw its abysmal rating in the Good Uni Guide 2011.

Before, I was so intent in getting into Sydney. And then I read this:

- Teaching quality: 1 star
- Graduate satisfaction: 1 star
- Getting a job: 2 stars
- Positive graduate outcomes: 3 stars
- Generic skills taught: 3 stars
- Staff qualifications: 3 stars

1 star means bottom 20% of universities in Australia, 2 stars means top 80% of universities, 3 stars means top 60%. Now, I just changed to UNSW which doesn't drop to 3 stars in any Status and Standing ranking, Educational Experience or Graduate Outcomes (out of twelve categories spread between them - seven are five star rankings, compared to Sydney's four).

Also for Law, here's what the Good Uni Guide says:

Sydney Law:

What graduates say... Teaching quality? Average. Generic skills taught? Average. Overall satisfaction? Average (compared to Law graduates at other universities).
18% of graduates are still seeking work 4 months after graduating - average.
Average starting salary? $64 559. Better.

UNSW Law:

What graduates say... Teaching quality? Better. Generic skills? Better. Overall satisfaction? Better.
0% of graduates are looking for work 4 months after graduating. Needless to say, that got 'better' - in the three point scale they use: Worse/Average/Better.
Average stating salary? $56 500. Better.

So UNSW Law > Sydney Law, from a ratings perspective - by faculty, and by university.

So that's partly the reason everyone is flocking to UNSW Law.
I disagree. USYD>all because I said so.

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
I disagree. USYD>all because I said so.
unsw and usyd are pretty much the same in the eyes of employers. There was something recently that said that usyd was 10 places higher than unsw in the best universitys of the world ( or something similar )

employers will not care about the 10places difference, they both have fairly good reputations.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
unsw and usyd are pretty much the same in the eyes of employers. There was something recently that said that usyd was 10 places higher than unsw in the best universitys of the world ( or something similar )

employers will not care about the 10places difference, they both have fairly good reputations.
Agreed, I was just trying to take the mickey out of shadowdude and his beloved GUG =)

willma88

HSC
My first preference was sydney, second was UNSW.

I was really torn between UNSW and Sydney, but i felt in the end there wasnt too much to seperate either uni as being significantly better. When i went on the sydney open day, i really liked the vibe of the place - that was what sealed the deal for me.

Id be happy if i get into either uni! :D

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
My first preference was sydney, second was UNSW.

I was really torn between UNSW and Sydney, but i felt in the end there wasnt too much to seperate either uni as being significantly better. When i went on the sydney open day, i really liked the vibe of the place - that was what sealed the deal for me.

Id be happy if i get into either uni! :D
Hi5 partner!

HSC
lol...i doubt you'll be saying hi5 to a lawyer ten years down the track hahahahahahahahahaha

willma88

HSC
hopefully usyds atar cutoff doesn't rise any higher from 99.65....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)