Demand and supply ATAR cut-offs (1 Viewer)

b0redAsian

HSC
Should the ATAR cut-offs for uni courses fluctuate much this year..

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It does depend on the course, but generally no, most courses stay roughly at a similar level.

nilynily

HSC
another question

The ATAR cut-offs for engineering at UNSW are practically the same (91-91.5). Was it a coincident that all the courses were filled by the last dude with an ATAR of 91 in 2010? Or did the uni just inflated all of the ATAR to make it looked more impressive or something?

This is just an example.

Last edited:

speedofsound

HSC
another question

The ATAR cut-offs for engineering at UNSW are practically the same (91-91.5). Was it a coincident that all the courses were filled by the last dude with an ATAR of 91 in 2010? Or did the uni just inflated all of the ATAR to make it looked more impressive or something?

This is just an example.
Uni's often inflate the cut-off just slightly. Whether it's to look more prestigious or something, who knows. But many courses at many uni's do it. Sometimes people will get in just very, very slightly under the cut-off.

ar7

HSC
If u wer hoping to get into unsw eng i would stil think u hav a chance of making it in. I believe unsw giv bonus point for maths so fingers crossed mate.

b0redAsian

HSC
hey man i was wondering when uni's i.e. UNSW consider applicants for different courses, are applicants that are submitted under the (hsc subject bonus point scheme, EAS etc...) diasadvantaged in any way as compared to a student that made the cut-off with their raw atar mark?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
hey man i was wondering when uni's i.e. UNSW consider applicants for different courses, are applicants that are submitted under the (hsc subject bonus point scheme, EAS etc...) diasadvantaged in any way as compared to a student that made the cut-off with their raw atar mark?
HSC plus is added directly onto students' ATARs; they are not disadvantaged in anyway. Once that process is done then the cutoff is determined.

EAS compete separately with other EAS applicants (i.e. there are a number of EAS spots set aside for each course).

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Uni's get to influence the cut off . AFAIK A facuality offeres x number of places (dependant on how many people they can accept and how many the govt will let them have) and then from there the unis will set the number of places for each of their courses, this allows them to set the cut off for a degree to a certain extent

twistedrebel

HSC
Engineering cut off's at UNSW are inflated to certain extent. I ve heard numerous stories of people quite below cut off and getting in.
"nilynily" you have a pretty decent chance of getting in.

b0redAsian

HSC
how does b.medical science @ UNSW place in consistency of ATAR cut-offs ?

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Maybe the large increase in science/high level math subjects taken by 2010 students could translate into higher cutoffs for the science and engineering courses.

speedofsound

HSC
Maybe the large increase in science/high level math subjects taken by 2010 students could translate into higher cutoffs for the science and engineering courses.
I doubt it.

Not that I have any authority to speak on this matter, but I still doubt it. :D

b0redAsian

HSC
Hey guys just another quick question, how many bonus points does Unsw allocate through EAS for ( social and economical disadvantage or something like that) ?

b0redAsian

HSC
Oh yeah true.. Umm are you atleast garunteed 1 bonus point for my EAS reason ?

b0redAsian

HSC
well im anxious about finding if i got into the uni/course i want (on wednesday i think main rounds are released ? ) *fingers crossed*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)