Should we accept our offers immediately? (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
Hi, it's my understanding that we 2010 HSC graduates receive our main round offers on the UAC website at 9pm on the 19th of January. I've been told by a friend that I should accept and enrol as soon as I receive my offer in order to have the widest choice of class timetabling arrangements.

So, I have a few questions:

1) Are main round offers published in the newspapers before 9pm on the 19th of January?

2) Is it true that it's first come, first serve for class timetabling and that I should enrol and accept my offer ASAP to get my most "ideal" timetable?

(I ask because I might be out of town on the 19th)

Cheers

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. The offers are published the next day.

2. I'm not sure.

chaminda

HSC
Hi Pyramid, I can answer question 2.

Yes, if I were you enrol ASAP to secure your most convenient times. The tutorial classes fill up FAST!!!! When I enrolled for electrical engineering classes back in 2003 we were assisted on the spot in front of a computer. Im not sure if there is a day like that for you, there should be, but either way enrol early.

You can contact your university student centre to ask about enrolement (if you want to be a step ahead). Also I HIGHLY reccomend that before you proceed to enrol to have a look at your programme/degree structure which tells you what subjects you need to study in years 1,2,3,4.... This should be be available on your faculty's web page (e.g. elec eng at UNSW..just google it). Doing this will save you from a lot of confusion.

Last edited:

Pyramid

HSC
Thanks to you both, I do want to be a step ahead so I'll have to look into my course structure in more detail.

So, will we receive our offers, in any form, any earlier than 9pm on the 19th of January? I forgot that we should receive snail mail or an email from the university who issue the offer. Should the uni's personal offer notification reach us before 9pm?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with the above that you should be accepting ASAP so that you can enrol in your classes because you're competing with a LOT of other students to get the 'best' timetable- not just for the classes themselves, but also the servers which host the timetable sites!

Not too sure about your other question regarding multiple universities making offers- my understanding was you get a single offer but I'm probably overlooking things such as scholarships, special courses, or just changes to the way things are done now compared to when I got mine 5 years ago.

HSC
I don't understand..

So say I accept my offer..then what happens after that?
Do we enrol at the university? Or is this done online?

Does that mean we get a timetable in January?

Can someone outline the process?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Wait, wait, wait. So we pick our subjects... when we accept the offer?

NewiJapper

HSC
I'm pretty sure we accept our offer, fill out all the paper work and stuff for the uni (most likely online) and get info about our subjects. THEN on enrolement day, we enrol at the uni and pick our subjects and timetables.

Entourage

HSC
I've accepted an early january round offer, but i haven't enrolled or anything i've just accepted it because if i get a main round offer i would prefer that one. Should i be enrolling for my early january round offer incase I don't get my first preference in the main rounds or is it ok that I've just accepted it? Thanks in advance if this makes any sense at all!

chaminda

HSC
I don't understand..

So say I accept my offer..then what happens after that?
Do we enrol at the university? Or is this done online?

Does that mean we get a timetable in January?

Can someone outline the process?
Hi m8,

I'll explain. NewiJapper is on the right track.

1.) Accept your offer and fill out any required online information

2.) Register to be a student at your university (this is done on the registration day AT UNIVERSITY ). On this day you will get a student number and password, student card, student email address, and of course enroll in your subjects. You will most likely sit down with a member of staff to enroll in your subjects to make your life easier.

Don't worry, the university will tell you STEP-BY-STEP what to do and where to go (within the campus) on the registration day.

As final note BE EARLY on the registration/enrolement day to avoid long lines and secure sweet timetables.

Last edited:
HSC
hey thanks for that!

just one more thing, when you say we get better timetables, how exactly does that work?
do we make our own timetable by picking and choosing classes/tuts? so would we have a lot of freedom in choosing where we are and when?

ty

chaminda

HSC
I've accepted an early january round offer, but i haven't enrolled or anything i've just accepted it because if i get a main round offer i would prefer that one. Should i be enrolling for my early january round offer incase I don't get my first preference in the main rounds or is it ok that I've just accepted it? Thanks in advance if this makes any sense at all!
Hi Entourage,

I cannot exactly remember the process of accepting offers since it has been 9 years ago for me and the system may have changed. For now just focus on ACCEPTING OFFERS, don't worry about enrolling into a university yet (i.e. student registration and selecting subjects) since, as you said, there may be a first round offer you want. You don't have to enrol to secure a degree you want to study.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If you got accepted into UNSW, you'll get your student ID etc. etc. via online - they will guide you through every step, so no need to worry.

chaminda

HSC
hey thanks for that!

just one more thing, when you say we get better timetables, how exactly does that work?
do we make our own timetable by picking and choosing classes/tuts? so would we have a lot of freedom in choosing where we are and when?

ty
Hi m8,

Feel free to keep asking questions.

When you enrol in your subjects there are two to three main components (usually):

1.) Lectures: which are already set by the university (i.e. times and location) and all students who enroll in the subject will be in the same room.

2.) Tutorials: which students can select from a list of available times/days offered by the university. This list is limited since the university has to deal with all other subjects in other faculties with a limited number of rooms.

3.) Laboratories: which students can also select like the tuorial classes

Lectures are held in a huge hall while tutorial and lab classes are held in small rooms. Some subjects don't have tutorials and/or labs.

When I mean "better timetables" I mean the tutorial/lab classes you select could result in shorter days (i.e. you may avoid long waiting hours between classes to attend a tutorial/lab which may be in the afternoon...etc as opposed to a bunch of classes from..say..9am to 3pm...without long breaks).

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you got accepted into UNSW, you'll get your student ID etc. etc. via online - they will guide you through every step, so no need to worry.
IIRC I was able to start selecting subjects/enrolling into classes/picking timetable pretty quickly after accepting... didn't need to go into the uni from memory :S

chaminda

HSC
IIRC I was able to start selecting subjects/enrolling into classes/picking timetable pretty quickly after accepting... didn't need to go into the uni from memory :S
True,

You can do it at home yourself but make sure you enroll properly and you know what to do. You can contact the universitie's student help centre, at your university of preference, for some advice if your stuck.

Last edited:

Pyramid

HSC
I expect an offer from UNSW. There are some "Enrolment Info Days" from 22nd-27th of January, where I spose staff would guide you through the process in person. But, can I accept and enrol online on the 19th, and if so, would it afford me more timetabling choice?

I also understand that accepting a main round offer doesn't prohibit one from accepting a later round offer. But would accepting a main round offer, then enrolling and choosing courses at UNSW, prohibit me from accepting later offers from UNSW (for a different course)?

(I've been reading the UNSW site all day, so I can get my foot in the door, but I'm finding it all confusing as hell.)

Pyramid

HSC
Sorry, didn't read those last few posts. Seems as though UNSW students can enrol completely online.

Is there anything I can do now to begin enrolment or registration at UNSW before main round offers on the 19th? Apart from mentally picking courses...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're really dedicated you can figure out what subjects you wanna do (or are required to do- e.g. cores), and then checking out the semester 1 timetables and figuring out what your draft timetable will look like. This way when classes are available/enrolment opens, you don't need to worry about picking and choosing and can just focus on getting the ones you want.

chaminda

HSC
I expect an offer from UNSW. There are some "Enrolment Info Days" from 22nd-27th of January, where I spose staff would guide you through the process in person. But, can I accept and enrol online on the 19th, and if so, would it afford me more timetabling choice?

I also understand that accepting a main round offer doesn't prohibit one from accepting a later round offer. But would accepting a main round offer, then enrolling and choosing courses at UNSW, prohibit me from accepting later offers from UNSW (for a different course)?

(I've been reading the UNSW site all day, so I can get my foot in the door, but I'm finding it all confusing as hell.)
Hi Pyramid,

For the enrolement info days I suggest you to ring up the university and ask them the day they start enrolling students and be there ASAP. I am assuming you can enrol in subjects on the 19th (the day you accept your offer), again ring up the university and ask if this is possible. I doubt that there would be many students enrolling in subjects for the first time, right after accepting their offer, by themselves so you should still be able to make a good time table.

In terms of accepting your first round offer and immediately enrolling I think you MAY lose your chance to select other later offers (again ring the university to inquire about this).

As with the UNSW site what are your troubles? Tell me what course you are studying at UNSW and I can tell you what you can do in first year. I too am at UNSW and have done both electrical engineering and mining engineering.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)