Why is ANU so much easier to get into then sydney uni?? (1 Viewer)

tjhunt11

HSC
why is ANU rankied so much higher than sydney in world rankings when ANU is easier to get into, for example if you wanted to do commerce at ANU the cut off for 2011 is 84 while the usyd is like 98 usyd has an amazing history, is very prestigous and has probably the highest uai cutoffs on the country? i just don't get it. dont you guys agree???

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Supply/Demand.

ATAR entry scores aren't an indicator of the prestige behind a unversity, but rather how popular the course is.

izzy88

HSC
why is ANU rankied so much higher than sydney in world rankings when ANU is easier to get into, for example if you wanted to do commerce at ANU the cut off for 2011 is 84 while the usyd is like 98 usyd has an amazing history, is very prestigous and has probably the highest uai cutoffs on the country? i just don't get it. dont you guys agree???
because not as many people want to go to ANU- more would prefer sydney. There are many reasons for this but I would guess a big one is probably because ANU is in Canberra, not as people want to move to go to university and/or live in Canberra. Unlike the US/UK I would say that there isn't a culture of australian uni students moving far away/on campus to go to university, so despite its rankings, less people want to go there. There is also obviously the history/prestige of usyd that still manages to remain strong in people's minds as well.

Lou283

HSC
Location, Location, Location - that simple

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Don't get me started on why those rankings are irrelevant and useless for us undergrads.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Generally these world rankings are heavily based on output of research in academic journals, not necessarily the strength of its undergraduate degrees.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Generally these world rankings are heavily based on output of research in academic journals, not necessarily the strength of its undergraduate degrees.
Basically more relevant to postgraduate degrees.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
And relevant to ANU students who need to find a justification their Sydney friends might understand, when really they're there because they think it's a better city. :p

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Not many people live in Canberra. ANU is 'remote', so not as much demand for courses compared to unis in big cities. More demand jacks up the ATAR requirement (ignoring artificial inflation/deflation of ATAR limits as a marketing tool). I wont comment on the quality of the degree or teaching.

Also, university rankings is based more on research performance and industry satisfaction rather than the quality of teaching for the undergraduate degree. Try not to use a university's rank as an indicator of its teaching quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)