How hard is it to financially survive away from home for a full-time student? (1 Viewer)

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
I won't be given any money from my parents but would be receiving Centerlink payments if I'm away from home and I do have a fair bit saved, just wondering if maybe there are people here who have tried it...is it really as difficult as people claim?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll be doing the same on Living Away From Home Allowance and Rent Assistance payments. Of course, I'll be getting the Centrelink scholarships that they hand out to us poor kids... and the small scholarships that I do have already will be spent on necessities such as a laptop, clothes, sheets etc. [although a new scholarship in on the way].

I've already worked out that I'll have $110/fortnight left from Centrelink payments for food and other expenses (bills, rent, internet etc payed for)... and that is meant to buy food and phone bill once a month.
It will be hard, but I'll have more scholarship money on it's way to rely on, and also I'll be getting a casual job. Of course it's hard, but if you've already been living in a low-income family with Centrelink payments anyway, you'll be used to it.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you're planning to live on centrelink payments alone you'll eat through your savings pretty fast (assuming have a few grand or so). Living entirely on centrelink is more than hard, you will have money for nothing other than rent, bills and shitty food, this can be a problem if you need money for anything else, such as textbooks or parking tickets or an ambulance bill etc.

On the other hand if you plan to get a job and work it will be less shit, but still far from the cushy life you probably have atm with your parents. If you stay organised and save as much as you can you can get by alright, you just have to be really smart with your money.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're planning to live on centrelink payments alone you'll eat through your savings pretty fast (assuming have a few grand or so). Living entirely on centrelink is more than hard, you will have money for nothing other than rent, bills and shitty food, this can be a problem if you need money for anything else, such as textbooks or parking tickets or an ambulance bill etc.

On the other hand if you plan to get a job and work it will be less shit, but still far from the cushy life you probably have atm with your parents. If you stay organised and save as much as you can you can get by alright, you just have to be really smart with your money.
Well, yes, you might only be able to get rather cheap food, but not always shitty. I have to say I am a rather efficient shopper and can get some quality food for quite cheap. Of course, surviving only on Centrelink is near on horrendous - I will be getting a little help from Mum (about $50/week or something small), and there is scholarship money on reserve if I need it.
Textbooks come from scholarship money (and you buy them second-hand).

With regard to the ambulance bill, people on Centrelink get it for free. Seeing the Doctor is almost entirely free without bulk-billing too thanks to the Medicare program.

But, yes, I totally understand what you're saying - it's by no means easy living. I guess it's easier for those who've not had the liberty of anything else (like me!).

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Obviously everything gets easier when you're on a scholarship and your parents are willing to lend a hand, in regards to those who aren't as lucky i really do beg to differ - the food really does suck if your used to the good life at home.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Obviously everything gets easier when you're on a scholarship and your parents are willing to lend a hand, in regards to those who aren't as lucky i really do beg to differ - the food really does suck if your used to the good life at home.
The good thing is, Centrelink provides you with a $4000 relocation scholarship (provided you're relocating to live away from home) and then a $1500+ scholarship for going to uni and being on Centrelink payments - that certainly improves things for you.

Otherwise, you're right - you have to learn to budget, and get used to bargain shopping.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I never knew about relocation scholarships, how do they work? I can understand if there is a genuine need to leave home to study due to distances etc, do they discern between such people aned those who are trying out being independent for the hell of it?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I never knew about relocation scholarships, how do they work? I can understand if there is a genuine need to leave home to study due to distances etc, do they discern between such people aned those who are trying out being independent for the hell of it?
I believe the relocation scholarship is granted on the basis that you are in receipt of a Centrelink payment and will be studying full-time (or maybe even part-time); so that means you're either on YouthAllowance which is still granted based on your parent's income, or you're granted independence by working 18 months for a certain amount. I think you have to have relocated from your permanent residence by at least 200km or something. I'm not sure on the specifics, but if you have to move a decent distance to go to uni and you'll have a permanent residence there then you'll be eligible for this payment.
If you're not sure, call Centrelink.

Edit: Since YouthAllowance is based on your parents income, you are still classed as dependent on your parents and there is an understanding that your parents will, if possible, support you with extra funds if needs be. If your parents have refused to support you in any means and a lot of the communication has been cut-off, then you might be granted extra support from Centrelink and considered on the basis of being kicked out of home, effectively.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Learn to cook. Food is so much cheaper.
Lol. I'm quite sure this was implied that shopping for food requires actual cooking. Not all uni students are useless and hopeless when it comes to the kitchen; despite the handiness of packet meals on occasion, I will be cooking real things.

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
I won't be given any money from my parents but would be receiving Centerlink payments if I'm away from home and I do have a fair bit saved, just wondering if maybe there are people here who have tried it...is it really as difficult as people claim?
Your parents should pay for you thats not cool

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
If you're getting the relocation scholarship and full rate YA and RA, it's not that difficult. My YA + RA doesn't quite cover rent + food ($300/week), but the $4000 plus $650/semester was enough that I still have about $2000 in the bank now.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Shii, you have to move 200km to qualify for the relocation scholarship? Ahh, I was hoping I could get it because I'm moving 100km... :s Technically I could commute, but it would be 3+ hours of train commuting each day :/ I might call Centrelink tomorrow.

Also, the 'start-up' scholarship for youth allowance/abstudy recipients has gone up from $1000 and something to $2200 this year I believe.

I'll be getting youth allowance next year but I plan on getting a new job. I've got a bit saved up because I've been working for nearly 4 years now, but I expect that to be chewed up quite quickly in my independence. Hopefully we all survive D: I know people who have moved away, they say it's tough and overwhelming at first but it makes them stronger in the long run. (cue motivational speaker here)

I plan on getting a little budget book thing and writing down everything I spend/earn etc. I'm sort of excited but also sort of... terrified...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Shii, you have to move 200km to qualify for the relocation scholarship? Ahh, I was hoping I could get it because I'm moving 100km... :s Technically I could commute, but it would be 3+ hours of train commuting each day :/ I might call Centrelink tomorrow.

Also, the 'start-up' scholarship for youth allowance/abstudy recipients has gone up from $1000 and something to $2200 this year I believe.

I'll be getting youth allowance next year but I plan on getting a new job. I've got a bit saved up because I've been working for nearly 4 years now, but I expect that to be chewed up quite quickly in my independence. Hopefully we all survive D: I know people who have moved away, they say it's tough and overwhelming at first but it makes them stronger in the long run. (cue motivational speaker here)

I plan on getting a little budget book thing and writing down everything I spend/earn etc. I'm sort of excited but also sort of... terrified...
Now I did say I wasn't sure on the specifics, but that's what I think the rule is. If you can't get through to Centrelink it's becaue of the floods crisis in QLD and therefore you'll have to go into one of the dreadful places in your town (or the closest you can find).
To avoid waiting beyond an hour, I recommend trying to call over and over to organise an interview and so then you can arrive just on time, otherwise try to pick a day that has nothing to do with payouts or when people have to hand in forms - i.e. Choose Monday or Friday (the other three will take longer... unfortunately I know this from experience).

Even if they do say you're ineligible for the relocation scholarship (which hopefully I have my thinking wrong and you will be just fine), try to bargain with them and put on the poor face and say how you won't be able to survive without any money at all. They might budge a little.

ajdlinux

HSC
I've never heard this before. I thought the main criteria was just that you had to move to reasonably do your course. Call Centrelink and check!

$1097 per semester this year! Yay! I'd completely forgotten that they were increasing it this year...

You'll do just fine - it's not nearly as scary as it looks!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
$1097 per semester this year! Yay! I'd completely forgotten that they were increasing it this year...

http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/guides_act...3.8.15.10.html details all the criteria for paying Relocation Scholarships.

The main condition is that you have to be paid at the 'dependent living away from home' rate or you are independent for certain specified reasons. No mention of a 200km rule or anything like that.
Awesome, I'm going to get a free $5097 in the first semester just from Centrelink. (The relocation scholarship is paid in the $4000 lump sum right, or is it $2000/semester)... and then of course it's $1000/year after that, but that's irrelevant.

With that kind of cash stashed away, I'm quite happy to say I should be find at university (also considering that I am in good standing for another scholarship from my own area).

,,,and also seems that the distance thing is just some big myth. You can probably move just up your street and get away from your parents and get access to all this money (not that I'm endorsing this behaviour) but it seems the guidelines aren't too con-stringent.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Regular Centrelink + Rental Assistance + A decent rental agreement = Survivable

This is basically what I'm doing at the moment. :)

ajdlinux

HSC
Awesome, I'm going to get a free $5097 in the first semester just from Centrelink. (The relocation scholarship is paid in the $4000 lump sum right, or is it $2000/semester)... and then of course it's $1000/year after that, but that's irrelevant.
Yes, it's $4000 lump sum - actually, according to Centrelink it's been indexed up to $4124 this year, so it will be $5221 all up. You will need to be able to cover yourself until the payment comes in which could be a fair way into the semester though (IIRC they can't pay until you've been studying for a certain number of days or something).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)