Two scholarships at once??! (1 Viewer)

tara_1993

HSC
Hey guys,

Just checked if I got an equity scholarship on the UAC wesbite and I have been successful (yay!) however, I have already been offered a Usyd merit scholarship. Just wondering if it is possible to hold 2 at once? (I have a feeling it isn't/I would feel kinda guilty....but it would be very helpful)

Thanks!
:)

Crosswinds

HSC
Pretty sure that if the equity scholarship is $6000 or more you can't have both.

I have a similar issue being offered an entry scholarship ($6000 for one year) and an access scholarship ($6000 p.a. for the length of my degree).

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
You'll have to check the conditions of the scholarship - often they do prohibit holding two at once in which case you take the larger one.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Great thing is, all of the scholarships I've received so far have been from my local area and have no conditions attached, except for the fact I just have to come back at the end of the year and make a short speech about how their money has helped me.

You also have to be clever about the amounts of money in the scholarships you're getting... well this only applies to those on Youth Allowance payments. I believe (disregarding the free ones from Centrelink themselves) that you are allowed to earn a maximum of $6500/year (something around this) before it affects your Youth Allowance payments; the thing is that scholarships are counted as income and may begin to affect your payment if you're working too - because you have to inform them that you're in receipt of other scholarships.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Great thing is, all of the scholarships I've received so far have been from my local area and have no conditions attached, except for the fact I just have to come back at the end of the year and make a short speech about how their money has helped me.

You also have to be clever about the amounts of money in the scholarships you're getting... well this only applies to those on Youth Allowance payments. I believe (disregarding the free ones from Centrelink themselves) that you are allowed to earn a maximum of $6500/year (something around this) before it affects your Youth Allowance payments; the thing is that scholarships are counted as income and may begin to affect your payment if you're working too - because you have to inform them that you're in receipt of other scholarships.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/individuals/exempt_equity.htm - the first $6972 of equity and merit scholarships is not counted as income.

tara_1993

HSC
thanks guys! I think I'm going to go in and talk to them and maybe explain my circumstances (low income...living out of home) and see if they could maybe send the second one straight to my accomodation :D *hopes

daesol

HSC
hey i got the equity scholarship as well and it states in the terms and conditions:
"The scholarship shall be terminated if the recipient accepts another scholarship of equal or higher value"
Since a Merit scholarship is of a smaller value than the Access/Equity scholarship i'm assuming that it should be okay?
haha not sure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)