Having second thoughts. (1 Viewer)

NewiJapper

HSC
I keep on having second thoughts on what I should combine my law degree with. For the moment I have picked science, but I'm still not sure whether it is the best decision...

Any advice would be appreciated!

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Do you have any particular personal interests in a certain field (doesn't have to be related to law or science; can be anything)?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
What else can you combine it with? Commerce is always a safe bet when combined with Law.

NewiJapper

HSC
I have always like science, but I don't know whether it would be beneficial in having it as my other degree with law.

I can combine it Arts, Business, Commerce, Communications, Forensic, Ab Studies, Economics, Finance and Social Science.

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Well you could end up in environmental law with science, I'm not sure about the pay. Forensics might be good, work for the police. Business if you wanted to end up in business law etc...

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
ARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You get to do the most enjoyable, least employable and least demanding degree, yet have the satisfaction of knowing that YOU DO ACTUALLY HAVE A FUTURE!

Disclaimer: I do not actually agree with this stereotype.
So seriously: Arts will help with Law in the long run because you will have a greater understanding of how people and the world operate, and you'll also have the added advantage of improved communication and writing skills (and gain a better understanding of rhetoric), which I'm assuming will be a priceless benefit if you are to become a lawyer. You could decide to major in things which will be relevant to your degree (stuff like Sociology, Politics, Economics) which I'm guessing you will need an understanding of in your future. Or you could do philosophy which will broaden and extend your thinking about your Law subjects... Or or or, anything!
But if you want to do science: Do science. Especially if you want to get into some sort of legal/science combined career afterwards. But if you were looking for the most complimentary... I'd do Arts!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, if you want freedom to combine it with what you want, do it with Arts. Most universities will let you do a commerce major as part of your Arts degree and even take the odd fauxscience subject while doing it (such as stats or psychology).

Do it with Arts.

NewiJapper

HSC
Well, I'm thinking of transferring uni's hopefully next year and I think science for my other first year course would be the easiest for ME to get high grades with.

Cougar007

HSC
I am also doing a Science/Law degree after contemplating Commerce/Law and Arts/Law. I was told by someone who has done law that your other degree should be something that you will enjoy coz 5 years is a long time to struggle through if you have no interest at all in commerce, economics, etc. If you're looking to transfer then you'll need good marks and if science is your thing then that's probs best to do.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Well, I'm thinking of transferring uni's hopefully next year and I think science for my other first year course would be the easiest for ME to get high grades with.
If this is your main reasoning, and you enjoy science more than you enjoy the arts, then definitely do science. But I think arts/law is a good combo, if you're looking at what will be most beneficial.

only you can decide..

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I'd do a strong science (Chem, Geo, Comp Science, Math?) over arts and any other of that crap

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I would advice you to combine it with a course which would help you in your 'second preference' career. In my opinion law is not really a likable subject (admittedly I may be bias on this). I am told that the dropout rate for law in the first year is comparatively high and I know quite a few people who dropped out of law despite getting pretty decent marks. In light of that, I think it's good to have something to fallback on if you end up hating law. As someone said commerce is usually a safe bet because commerce is not radically different to law, and the contact hour is less compared to science. So it's a triple-plus good.

Of course, if science is the sort of subject that gives you motivation and interest then you should stick with it, it may have a bit more lab hours but it's manageable so long you plan your time well.

Art would probably be a great choice if do end up liking law (or both). Though I wouldn't pick art personally because I feel like there's an element of gambling involve.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I'd say Science/Law if only because there are too many Arts/Law students in the world. :p

(A certain Robert French did Science/Law, and look where he is now :p )

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If Griffith would let me, I'd be taking BiomedSc/Law... but they won't let me (at least not in first year).

NewiJapper

HSC
Aquawhite said:
If Griffith would let me, I'd be taking BiomedSc/Law... but they won't let me (at least not in first year).
If anywhere had that, I'd do it!

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Honestly, if you want freedom to combine it with what you want, do it with Arts. Most universities will let you do a commerce major as part of your Arts degree and even take the odd fauxscience subject while doing it (such as stats or psychology).

Do it with Arts.
What ^ said.

Plus Arts is low-cost and has low contact hours which means you get more for less! Huzzah!

ptrgrgry

HSC
I don't know whether to do:

OPTION A: Economics/Law
- Two potential career paths, two highly complementary courses in the corporate world!!
- A fallback option if I really hate law.
- Perhaps stronger job prospects than Arts/Law. Could someone verify/refute this point??? What exactly are the differences in job prospects? And should my focus be on my employability or following my passions (yeah, lame-sounding I know).
- I get to do economics, which I love and am good at! More math and stats than Arts/law (a good thing).
- A lot of the same stuff for 5 years!! And I am the kind of student who loves to try different subjects and gets bored of same-old same-old!
- Will be bummed if I do Econ/Law and never use the econ degree in my career, because that means I could have done the more enjoyable arts course
and ended up in the same places anyway.
- 1 Elective only!

OPTION B: Arts/Law
- Easier than Economics/Law.
- More enjoyable and more flexible. I'll be able to study English, French, Philosophy, etc... (Which I loooovvee....)
- Perhaps more limited job opportunities.
- Only one degree that's really going to get me places. No fallback option.
- Probably won't get to study any economics which will be a bummer! I know I can do some - but seriously what's
the point in doing like a one-off microeconomics unit or something?
- 3 or 4 electives!!!!woo!
- All in all, if I were to die at my graduation (i.e. discount career options, future, income) this is the degree I'd pick.

Last edited:

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Remember you can major in Economics within an Arts degree at UNSW now. Heck, you could even double major in Economics/Politics or Economics/International Relations and combine it with a Law degree. I'm not sure but I think that'd make you fairly valuable ; )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)