Walking out of lectures... (1 Viewer)

theMoment

HSC
Is it common?

I think I'll have to do it a few times because my classes are from one side of USyd to the other side of USyd...and the class times follow each other..

do lecturers give you dirties etc etc is all i am asking..

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard lectures end at :55 and the next one starts at :05

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I heard lectures end at :55 and the next one starts at :05
This is true.

Lecturers don't care about one person leaving. For majority of lectures, you'll be fine. However, if it's a small lecture where they will know everyone's name, it is considered (mostly by other students) impolite to leave. If you think it will be a problem, talk to them, and ask their opinion.

deterministic

HSC
As long as you do it subtlely and don't disrupt the lecture its fine. Sit closer to aisles and door so that you don't disrupt others trying to listen.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
dont doet you will get detenshun

xsavagex

HSC
I've found that it depends on the lecturer. I had one last year who would call out to you as you tried to leave and would question you on where you were going and why.

His reasoning was that if you needed to leave early, don't bother going at all.

I stopped going.

HSC
Uni Grad
I've found that it depends on the lecturer. I had one last year who would call out to you as you tried to leave and would question you on where you were going and why.

His reasoning was that if you needed to leave early, don't bother going at all.

I stopped going.
Lol, I remember in one of my small lectures he'd make a joke about how boring he must be or something.
I think it's rare to find anyone who cares if you leave, provided you don't distrupt anyone or anything.

Gmac_0

HSC
If you're afraid they're gonna give you a dirty look or whatever then just sneak out the moment they turn their back lol. Most don't seem to care a whole lot though, seems pretty standard to me that a couple people per lec walk out to answer phones or just don't come back. I've seen though a couple lecturers get a bit spiteful and threaten something about how 'this stuff's gonna be on the exam!' as someone walks out. Also had one lecturer crack it a bit after people seemed to be regularly filtering out; they snapped a bit and told anyone else thinking of leaving 'leave now!', cue a pause and then several more people walking out.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
the lecturers dont care , they get paided if you turn up or not.

It is YOUR choice to go to uni , and it is YOUR choice if you dont want to go to lectures or walk out of them.

Just that if you are going to be paying money for this course then you might as well use all the resources available to you, but if you fail the course because of leaving/not turning up then it is your loss, not the lecturers.

theMoment

HSC
surely 5mins earleir wont break their hearts..
its just that some of my language lectures are right before my law lectures..
and i really am looking foward to law

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You should have enough time. 5min before and after rule should be enough to get you by.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I've left early. Its okay if its a big lecture or you're near the exit. Probably not the best idea if its a 5 person lecture or you're sitting right up the front.
Also, for one of my classes the distance between lecture halls was really far, and sometimes the previous lecture wouldn't finish at :55, so i'd have to leave early.

rx34

HSC
Lecturers don't care if you leave early as long as you don't arrive late.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
They don't care that much if you leave by yourself, the lecturer sometimes asks where you're going if you leave with a group of friends.

Simply AD

Danski
HSC
Generally lecturers don't care, but it would be nice to notify them before hand so they won't look at you and wonder what's going on? Thus disrupting the lecture. And if your leaving in a group, definitely let him know.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
And if your leaving in a group, definitely let him know.
In group assignments, never bail on a group without discussing why you are leaving first. Seriously, members who just leave or don't show up are shit.

terminator69

HSC
You can only do it if you start moaning just before you get up, and progress to really loud moaning by the time you are walking outside the door. It is considered impolite to leave without causing a disruption because it means if you walk out without anyone noticing, it is symbolic that you are a failure.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
loads of people leave in the last 20 minutes
some people leave midway - the ones that look liked the rocked into the wrong lecture
i've never had a lecturer say anything

most of these people sit close to the door or on ends of seat rows so they don't cause too much disruption when they leave.

sunshine08

HSC
How do you ensure that you don't miss out on notes that are given at the start of the lecture if you turn up late?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)