B Sc (Advanced Mathematics) (1 Viewer)

NubMuncher

HSC
Interested in this course, but unsure of what jobs this degree would lead to.

Any help appreciated : )

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
=D

True. It is somewhat in the GUG.

Depends what you major in. Statistics --> Statistician, Applied --> Modeller, Pure --> Researcher.

HSC
N/A
I'm sure there's more jobs than that.
not alot more, 99% of the time math degrees wont get you alot of job opportunities. They can crunch numbers, understand a few difficult concepts and find the value of pie to several thousand decimal places on their computer ( like lol, do we really need to know it to so many decimal places? ) but is there really that much need for them?

Applied is the most useful, they are used in health organisations, predicting the weather, population numbers etc .

Stats will prob get you a job at an insurance company or bank, and you will earn alot of money, but you would just go insane with the lack of variety in your job, "like wow , theres some numbers, lets enter them into our database lol"

and pure maths is just 100% theory and very little application to the real world

Last edited:

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know anything about the Quantitative Risk major? There's barely any information available (or most likely I haven't looked hard enough). Will it be easy to get a job when I graduate? I've been doing job searches and most of them require some extra postgraduate work (i.e. PhD).

deterministic

HSC
Quantitative Risk = Maths and finance double degree + honours but with less maths and less finance than the combined degree. Its a gimmick to attract students to the school of maths.

by itself it wont get you a quant role easily.

true quants usually have a PHD in mathematics (pure or applied) with financial background.

ascentyx

HSC
Most employers don't really care what degree you do as long as you have done well in it. Doing a pure maths degree can lead to great career prospects as it proves you can think quantitatively. Mathematicians can work in such a wide variety of fields.

Also pure maths has plenty of applications to the real world and statisticians don't just enter numbers into a database.

Deathless

HSC
not alot more, 99% of the time math degrees wont get you alot of job opportunities. They can crunch numbers, understand a few difficult concepts and find the value of pie to several thousand decimal places on their computer ( like lol, do we really need to know it to so many decimal places? ) but is there really that much need for them?

Applied is the most useful, they are used in health organisations, predicting the weather, population numbers etc .

Stats will prob get you a job at an insurance company or bank, and you will earn alot of money, but you would just go insane with the lack of variety in your job, "like wow , theres some numbers, lets enter them into our database lol"

and pure maths is just 100% theory and very little application to the real world
Where the fuck did you think of that?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Cus that is pure crap and may steer some unknowing student away from a maths degree?
No its hot.

Most maths jobs require honours apart from the ones pretty much any graduate from a physical science can apply for. Ontop of this many institutions allow you to graduate with a maths major when you do fuck all (i.e. at UWA if you know triple integrals and gradients you have a maths major.)

As said before quant risk is dumb and won't get you a job.

If you are considering an undergraduate maths degree by itself you should be doing as much analysis as possible then you can do honours in whatever you want - your 3 year degree is jus building foundations it doesn't give you fuck all to become employable compared to an engineer, chemist or physist (unless you major in stats.)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Analysis? Analysis is in what branch - Applied I presume?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
So stats would be the most decent major or best option offered for adv maths at unsw?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If so, awesomeness - because I is doing statistics, or as I like to call it: statistiques.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)