2nd year in, not sure if ive done the right thing (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
About to enter my second year of B Com/B Sc at usyd. I'm majoring in industrial relations and human resource management and psychology. Doing the double degree mainly because i want to keep my options open. Commerce doesn't interest me, I'm more of a science person. HR management is the only major that leads to a slightly interesting job (imo). I chose commerce because I want a good paying job that wont be impossible to find. But now I'm wondering, are there even any jobs in HR management? Seek.com says there is thousands, but that means nothing if theres loads of HR professionals out there right? Am I going to have to work 45+ hours a week to make decent money (decent meaning >80k a year)?

I've always been REALLY interested in working in allied health (eg. as a psychologist, physiotherapist, dietitian) because i love medical/health sciences, but apparently the pay/vacancies are crap. However this a hell of a lot more interesting to me than commerce, and I'm sure the work hours wont be more than 40 a week- more suitable for when I decide to have kids and have a family right? How many years of uni would it have taken for this and what degrees? A girl i work with is finishing off her Masters in dietetics this year, and she says a lot of graduates don't find jobs for ages.

So confused, not sure if I'm doing the right thing. Someone give me guidance (other than "HR is crap, major in finance, live forever")

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
17 views and no replies? you guys suck

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Look if science interests you more do science.

Heaps of people don't even do jobs related to their degree anyway.

I know a marine biologist by trade but to pay bills he is the head of KFC (i think it was marine biology).

Do you think you would do better in a science degree?

There are many jobs in allied health overseas too.

The other issue with HR positions is that some companies like to focus on internal promotions and appointments to such positions and these people don't neccessarily need a uni degree. Eg David Jones.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
it looks like its another passion vs $$$ issue.

Just do what you thinks right.

terminator69

HSC
17 views and no replies? you guys suck
What do you expect? The demographic of BoS isn't going to be familiar with employment patterns of the HR industry. Even posting on the jobs section of whirlpool would be better.

terminator69

HSC
The other issue with HR positions is that some companies like to focus on internal promotions and appointments to such positions and these people don't neccessarily need a uni degree. Eg David Jones.
What about grad programs?

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
What do you expect? The demographic of BoS isn't going to be familiar with employment patterns of the HR industry. Even posting on the jobs section of whirlpool would be better.
yes exactly this.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
What about grad programs?
Not too sure but during my time at DJ's talking to the Mens Dept manager he said the DJ's pays for a lot of training for people promoted to HR positions. Same thing was told during orientation.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont want to pursue a passion for 5 years and work at maccas. just sayin.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
i know that but you dont need a uni degree to get into HR positions.

Would you work overseas?

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
you can only do what you like

personally I would kill myself if I had to work in HR or be around people who work in it for more than 5 minutes, all the corporate doublespeak would drive me nuts

EDIT: if you want a job as a psychiatrist or similar you will probably need at least a masters to be competitive, although I don't know a whole lot about that field
HR will probably be one of those things where every job wants you to have experience, lol. See if you want to get in given how competitive it is, etc. it probably isn't a bad route to be an office bitch somewhere and do uni part-time, which is not the glorious route but it would make you a really attractive prospect on graduation.

With the allied health area you'd be looking at shit pay after a much longer time at school. A second or third year office chick out of high school with only some part time TAFE can already be on 40k, and you're looking at not much if anything more than that after your 5 or so years at uni...

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i wouldnt work overseas, and yeah for PROPER HR management positions you do need tertiary qualifications.

also i would like some input from someone who isnt a 2010er
anyone??

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
lol they offered my mum HR and she declined for that reason pretty much.

Gmac_0

HSC
Maybe just go the way of the allied health (psychologist, physio etc) path even if the job market and such isn't great. Or consider sticking it out with the commerce and perhaps later starting your own business in one of these fields? I'd think a psychologist running their own clinic would make a fair bit.

As for the person who said you probably don't need uni for HR, I reckon you probably would. HR was traditionally a fairly small office administrative type duty but is modernly a lot more professional than it used to be.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
what the hell are you people even talking about

and no, i dont want to do medicine.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Are retail certificates tertiary? Thats what my mum has.

I'm a 08'er.

go to whirlpool.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Maybe just go the way of the allied health (psychologist, physio etc) path even if the job market and such isn't great. Or consider sticking it out with the commerce and perhaps later starting your own business in one of these fields? I'd think a psychologist running their own clinic would make a fair bit.

As for the person who said you probably don't need uni for HR, I reckon you probably would. HR was traditionally a fairly small office administrative type duty but is modernly a lot more professional than it used to be.
i know david jones provides training for these postions. Retail certs and such. My Dept manager got promoted to HR without uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)