People at uni doesn't seem really smart (1 Viewer)

terminator69

HSC
I always thought uni would have lots of really smart people. People who could answer every question from a lecturer and dedicate heaps of time towards study to get epic marks. Sure, this might happen in some courses but I thought there would be at least a few people in courses of lower requirements possessing these characteristics. To put it in perspective, my degree had a minimum entry requirement of 75 ATAR at UOW.

I remember just before the final exam for a maths subject last semester, a lecturer was going through terms and asked everyone what compound interest was. There was silence, then some guy answered, describing it as interest that occurs in periods such as days, months etc. but all he was doing was describing simple interest. Not really a comprehensive example, but just symbolises the whole lack of enthusiasm of people.

I do find that everyone is mostly on task in tuts etc. and work hard to score a decent mark, but rarely do I find people who aim high and push the boundaries of what they achieve. I am probably a hypocrite by admitting that I don't do this, and am mostly satisfied with credit marks. I guess I just expected to be amongst the elite.

NewiJapper

HSC
Also beat me. But seriously, did you think before you wrote that thread title?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
ATAR is no indication of intelligence. I know of a girl who got 96 ATAR and she absolutely lacks common sense. Honestly she probably thinks a micrometre is longer than a metre.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Very good point. ATAR is nothing more than an indicator of how well you can memorize stuff in my opinion (maybe with the exception of EX maths)

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
ATAR is no indication of intelligence. I know of a girl who got 96 ATAR and she absolutely lacks common sense. Honestly she probably thinks a micrometre is longer than a metre.
i agree with its statement +1

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
ATAR is no indication of intelligence, like others have said

Plus 75 is dogshit easy to get.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
To put it in perspective, my degree had a minimum entry requirement of 75 ATAR at UOW
I'm guessing your UOW Commerce from your post, as am I.

First year Commerce does seem a bit like you've described. I'm doing a double with Creative Arts, an I can honestly say that comparatively, the Commerce side seems less intelligent across the board.

Of course, in a wide selection of students, the phenomena you described makes sense. Most people don't speak out in tutorials, and those that do either know they're stuff (hence why they're answering) or ones who know that no one else will bother answering, so they'll take a stab at it.

Most people by this stage have just come out of the HSC, and are probably sick of studying so much. The level of quality and effort picks up over the years I've found.

Kralex

HSC
cause nobody really gives a fuck to answer the lecturer.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
People at TAFE are really really smart while people in Uni are really really dumb and boganlike.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Go to TAFE easier to get a job and thats all that matters unless youw anna learn women studies or some shit

Deathless

HSC
He learnt about pyramids and pharaohs and stuff and how to make someone a mummy. Very complex stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)