Hecs-help (1 Viewer)

Load Mistress

HSC
I'm posting this thread in hope to get some information and feedback on a few things that I'm confused about regarding HECS and all that.

I'm a permanent resident of Australia, and I have been for my 18 years of life. I just found out that PR's aren't eligible for HECS-HELP.
Last year I was going to do a citizenship test along with my brother but I wanted to focus on my HSC.
So the question I'm looking for an answer to is- if I become an Australian Citizen by the end of this year, will I be able to defer the rest of my uni fees to HECS-HELP? Obviously I'll have to pay for my first semester (maybe my second as well), but once I become an Australian Citizen, can I submit a new "Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP" form and get HECS?

If I knew PRs weren't eligible I would've done my citizenship ages ago. I remember when my brother went to uni he was eligible for HECS even though he was a PR... but that was a few years back.

Also, one more question, I'm a little confused as to the benefits of being a CSP if you are ineligible for HECS.

Thanks in advance! And sorry if the questions are n00bish.

funnytomato

HSC
I'm posting this thread in hope to get some information and feedback on a few things that I'm confused about regarding HECS and all that.
I'm a permanent resident of Australia, and I have been for my 18 years of life. I just found out that PR's aren't eligible for HECS-HELP.
Last year I was going to do a citizenship test along with my brother but I wanted to focus on my HSC.
So the question I'm looking for an answer to is- if I become an Australian Citizen by the end of this year, will I be able to defer the rest of my uni fees to HECS-HELP? Obviously I'll have to pay for my first semester (maybe my second as well), but once I become an Australian Citizen, can I submit a new "Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP" form and get HECS?
If I knew PRs weren't eligible I would've done my citizenship ages ago. I remember when my brother went to uni he was eligible for HECS even though he was a PR... but that was a few years back.
Also, one more question, I'm a little confused as to the benefits of being a CSP if you are ineligible for HECS. Thanks in advance! And sorry if the questions are n00bish.
you don't need to do the test if you're under 18, so I suppose you didn't really need to do anything get citizenship last year. I don't really know how your brother got it ...
I think you can apply for hecs help before census date, which is like 1 month or so after a semster starts
also csp means the govmt pays for majority of your study cost, hecs help is like a no-interest loan for your student contribution

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I believe what you said is correct. Best way to check though would be to get in touch with the uni you intend going to and ask them.

Load Mistress

HSC
Thanks guys for the reassurance.
I'm going to go ask someone during my orientation day and hopefully get all of it sorted, as well as apply for my citizenship asap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)