Can someone please tell me the differences amongst..... (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
Can someone please tell me the differences amongst.....

1. Internship (paid/unpaid)
2. Clerkships (paid/unpaid)
3. Cadetships (paid/unpaid)
4. Volunteering

And if you guys know, what can I do whilst at university with my Law degree? Considering I am only a first year.

thanks guys!

delian

HSC
N/A
Cadetships and internships are similarish- I guess cadetships tend to be for the duration of the cadet's degree, while internship/clerkships tend to be only partly i.e a few weeks/few months.

Volunteering is just that- you don't get paid.

rayy_bann

HSC
Cadetships and internships are similarish- I guess cadetships tend to be for the duration of the cadet's degree, while internship/clerkships tend to be only partly i.e a few weeks/few months.

Volunteering is just that- you don't get paid.
Oh thank you for clarifying this for me! Yeah I shouldn't have put volunteering in my question since its self explanatory haha.

But can I just ask, what is work experience (not paid) classified under?

And If I were to do an UNPAID internship/clerkship, where would i be able to put this under in my resume/CV? would it be under 'Employment' or 'volunteering/community service' Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks again!

Cl324

HSC
N/A
employment
if its for a non profit or charitable organisation, volunteering

Cornspiracy

HSC
Uni Grad
An internship goes under employment cause you're seen as a (noob) employee of whichever company you work for and treated like one. You basically put up with shit/no pay to get experience (to put on your resume)

Cadetships and Clerkships would go under that too :)

For Volunteering, if it's only a short term thing you can just shove it under community service (usually just a one line dotpoint and date),
but if you're volunteering for a long time, ie. over a month, and you're doing things such as admin work or marketing that could be relevant to your future career, then you can list it under employment and explain the type of stuff you did there, such as accounts or journalism.

[This is all off the top of my head in the middle of the night, might wanna get another opinion on the volunteering thing]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry but I disagree with some of the classifications/comments in this thread so thought I would add to it.

Can someone please tell me the differences amongst.....

1. Internship (paid/unpaid)
2. Clerkships (paid/unpaid)
3. Cadetships (paid/unpaid)
4. Volunteering

And if you guys know, what can I do whilst at university with my Law degree? Considering I am only a first year.

thanks guys!
In short,

Internships- also known as vacation work, typically refer to someone who is undertaking a temporary employment role with the aim of obtaining a graduate position and the employer similarly is looking for potential graduates. The internship is usually conducted over the summer holidays in Australia but can occur during the winter break, or even during semester depending on arrangements and scholarships (e.g. coop). At least in Commerce, internships are for penultimate students (i.e. if you are in a 3 year degree, you apply in your 2nd year and undertake the work over the summer break between 2nd and 3rd year). Internships can be paid or unpaid depending on industry but keep in mind you are still protected by relevant employment laws as well as the industry body- e.g. some bodies will not permit 'unpaid' work where you are clearly contributing/doing work and they are just not paying you.

Cadetships- these are very different to internships in that they are full time employment with a specific firm/company. Unlike the sometimes similarly advertised coop programs, a cadetship is literally a full time job with one company for a set period of time whilst you complete your undergraduate degree. As you are doing full time work, the employment contract typically requires that you only undertake part time studies during that time period. For example, a normal Commerce degree takes 3 years however if you do a cadetship, you will normally take one of those 3 years and do it on a part time basis (i.e. half load- 2 subjects per semester instead of 4) and stretch it out to two years when you are working full time. Cadetships being full time employment include a full year salary and you usually participate in all the other benefits/rewards of the company (e.g. mobile phone provided, laptops, subsidies, company vacations/events/parties, etc). Cadetships are also offered in a variety of industries but the most commonly discussed one on these forums is probably accounting. Others such as business services, construction, etc also exist.

Clerkships- these are similar to internships except they are for law firms and students in penultimate years. Unlike internships where companies use it as a way to trial staff and then take people on at graduate level both from the successful interns and fresh grads from uni, a lot of law firms have been known to only recruit for graduate roles through their clerkship programs.

Volunteering- unpaid work. Difficult to define beyond this but it's an option you have if you can't get any of the above and need some work experience on your CV.

rayy_bann

HSC
Sorry but I disagree with some of the classifications/comments in this thread so thought I would add to it.

In short,

Internships- also known as vacation work, typically refer to someone who is undertaking a temporary employment role with the aim of obtaining a graduate position and the employer similarly is looking for potential graduates. The internship is usually conducted over the summer holidays in Australia but can occur during the winter break, or even during semester depending on arrangements and scholarships (e.g. coop). At least in Commerce, internships are for penultimate students (i.e. if you are in a 3 year degree, you apply in your 2nd year and undertake the work over the summer break between 2nd and 3rd year). Internships can be paid or unpaid depending on industry but keep in mind you are still protected by relevant employment laws as well as the industry body- e.g. some bodies will not permit 'unpaid' work where you are clearly contributing/doing work and they are just not paying you.

Cadetships- these are very different to internships in that they are full time employment with a specific firm/company. Unlike the sometimes similarly advertised coop programs, a cadetship is literally a full time job with one company for a set period of time whilst you complete your undergraduate degree. As you are doing full time work, the employment contract typically requires that you only undertake part time studies during that time period. For example, a normal Commerce degree takes 3 years however if you do a cadetship, you will normally take one of those 3 years and do it on a part time basis (i.e. half load- 2 subjects per semester instead of 4) and stretch it out to two years when you are working full time. Cadetships being full time employment include a full year salary and you usually participate in all the other benefits/rewards of the company (e.g. mobile phone provided, laptops, subsidies, company vacations/events/parties, etc). Cadetships are also offered in a variety of industries but the most commonly discussed one on these forums is probably accounting. Others such as business services, construction, etc also exist.

Clerkships- these are similar to internships except they are for law firms and students in penultimate years. Unlike internships where companies use it as a way to trial staff and then take people on at graduate level both from the successful interns and fresh grads from uni, a lot of law firms have been known to only recruit for graduate roles through their clerkship programs.

Volunteering- unpaid work. Difficult to define beyond this but it's an option you have if you can't get any of the above and need some work experience on your CV.
very helpful! thanks :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh cool! So even if its unpaid internship its classified as employment?

ok! :)
Sorry forgot to answer this but yes, they'd all be classified as employment. As would tutoring your neighbour, walking someone's dog or mowing the lawn (on a regular basis).

HOWEVER where you might get caught up is if you end up listing too many things that it sounds a bit unrealistic and then you get asked "What paid employment have you had previously?" because that obviously infers that someone trusted you and valued you enough that they paid money, and you wanting to retain said money on a recurring basis would have had to have some discipline/care in your work to maintain that employment.

crazy_paki123

HSC
Hey Seremify007, if i i undertake a cadetship, how long would i have to complete my undergraduate course part time? would it go from 3 years to 6years?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Seremify007, if i i undertake a cadetship, how long would i have to complete my undergraduate course part time? would it go from 3 years to 6years?
no wtf. the aim is to get you into the workplace asap.

kenkap

HSC
so taking a cadetship doesnot affect your study duration? like a 4 year degree will stay for the same amount of time right??? or am i thinking wrong??

crazy_paki123

HSC
so taking a cadetship doesnot affect your study duration? like a 4 year degree will stay for the same amount of time right??? or am i thinking wrong??
no it does affect it somewhat. For example, a typical Commerce Degree is 3 years, undertaking a cadetship extends the degree to 4 years

kenkap

HSC
im doing actuarials studies..which firms' cadetships should i be looking for at the moment?? and if i fail to get one, is that a really bad thing?? because i have heard of programs where you are allowed to apply just once!

uac.aplcnt

HSC
I think the Opening Post has been answered real well for now..

but here comes more questions..lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)