Consider this -- Is all you need a degree? (1 Viewer)

BraZen

Consider this hypothetical.

You are an employer looking through a long list of graduate profiles, lets say that all these students have the same grades of about credit average. The only thing that changes is the university they attended, the things they have done outside of university including things like vacation work.

Would you give preferance to someone just becauce they went to a particular university, say just becauce they went to UNSW, UTS, USYD, MAQ, etc. Or would you look at other more personal qualities and skills they have shown in past work experience?

What are you thoughts?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
well, i know some ppl don't take into account the uni you attend.

This is because "prestigious" unis like
ANU, Usyd, UNSW, etc...
have academics that focus on research
rather than teaching, so the quality
of their graduates wont be "better" than
a uni such as UWS.

Also, for new graduates marks are most imporant, for ppl who have been in
the work force a while, work experience
is more important.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I would agree that the other qualities would be important, but I'd also point out that which Unis are so called "better" Uni's depends on field and what you are looking for in an employee.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
Also, for new graduates marks are most imporant, for ppl who have been in
the work force a while, work experience
is more important.
I agree with this point. Plus, for someone who has just graduated I would look at which University they went to, their references and work experience. I wouldn't really take notice of extracurricular activities:).

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i would look at the uni. (as well as experience, personal qualities etc.) for sure, i.e different uni. would have diferent type of graduates....eg. UTS graduates would b very practical and stuff, whilst unsw graduates would b very good at theory....so yeah, it depends on what ur looking for really. :)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
personal qualities, communication skills, extra curricular activities, entreuprenuerial (spelling) abilities etc.

memo

The first thing I will look for is relevent work experience (ie someone that could start work tomorrow not go through weeks of training first). The second maybe personal qualities and then maybe grades and what uni he/she attended.

This is what my past employers looked for when interviewing me.

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
i've heard some employers dont even look at some resume's if they are not from a particular uni. (i.e. the prestigious ones). :confused:

memo

Originally posted by cyrax83
i've heard some employers dont even look at some resume's if they are not from a particular uni. (i.e. the prestigious ones). :confused:
If your employer is unsw or usyd that maybe true. But I guess most of us are not interested in becoming academics.

HSC
When companies like earnst and young, and deloite go looking for employees... they head straight for the top students of unsw and usyd... :(

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
i would look at the uni. (as well as experience, personal qualities etc.) for sure, i.e different uni. would have diferent type of graduates....eg. UTS graduates would b very practical and stuff, whilst unsw graduates would b very good at theory....so yeah, it depends on what ur looking for really. :)
u forgot usyd :chainsaw:
Originally posted by freaking_out
this is what my career's advisor told me abt. resume's : that the average time that an employer spends reading each resume is 14 seconds. :D
yea, i was told similar things... but mine's around 30 sec
Originally posted by krayziekarnevil
When companies like earnst and young, and deloite go looking for employees... they head straight for the top students of unsw and usyd... :(
not true... at least i don't think... leadership skills, communication skills, relevant work exp n good comments from referees definitely come before whcih uni u attended... (well in most cases)

santaslayer

HSC
well, from what i know from goiung to wollongong uni......

it dosnt necessarily depend on the uni, really.....
what do u guyz think of wollongong.....i guess the answers would be likie, unprestigious, crap, and very very far away..(or at least not as good as unsw, usyd)

but our uni, suprisingly is sponsered by the best companies in australia.....every year, ernst and young guarantee thatthey recruit at least 4 graduates to their city based accounting firm (this is an agreement between the uni and the firm)
they are also sponsered, to my knowedge by KPMG (except they only accept graduates, whilst E & Y accept trainees and first years)
they are also sponsered by clayton utz, minter & milliosn, price waterhouse coopers, Freehill, CCWL, Gardens Lawyers and an array of many more law and accounting firms. (i only kniow about these 2 industries coz of my uni course)
by being "sponsered", i mean they are obliged to recruit graduates from UOW. ( i know this coz i recently attended a free careers seminar held by E&Y)
and it is suprising to know, that firms like E&Y do not look at the uni in particular, but the grades, and the "whole package"...(they pride themselves in being outgoing nerds, if u know what i mean)

so in relation to ur question, i dont think they look at the unis in terms of thier prestige, but the actual graduates themselves as a whole person., the total package

memo

I think the bulk of us would start off in a small/medium private firm so like I said earlier experience and skills come before what uni you attended.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
also, if i was looking at unis, i would prob pick someone from newcastle (no, thats not biased) or one of the other ones (ie, not unsw, usyd, that sorta thing) over someone from one of the 'major' unis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)