sydney v unsw (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
What has everybody heard with regards to USYD and UNSW and their commerce/law courses.

I get the general impression that unsw may be preferred in the industry for commerce, but I'm not sure...and I also don't know why and if the reasons are valid. Anyone know anything more?

Thanks! :)

grem

from what i've been told by my bro's friends (some do law at unsw and some at usyd), commerce seems to be better at unsw but law seems to be better at usyd ......
so comm/law is a bit of contradiction if you want the best in both !
good luck

B

Bambul

Thats right! If you feel like taking an extra year to do Com/Law you could spend 3 years doing a BCom at UNSW and then do an LLB at USyd postgrad for 3 years.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
the unsw commerce course allows you to branch out and pick options earlier on, while the sydney commerce course is more general, there are more set topics etc

timmii

sporadic attendee
Thanx all :) Assistance is much appreciated.

That thing about the options is interesting - I'd picked up on that when reviewing the diff uni course timetables and the structures of the majors (yes....i have too much time), but i wasn't certain.

Better not count my chickens before they hatch tho - better get accepted first!

chait

Originally posted by timmii
What has everybody heard with regards to USYD and UNSW and their commerce/law courses.

I get the general impression that unsw may be preferred in the industry for commerce, but I'm not sure...and I also don't know why and if the reasons are valid. Anyone know anything more?

Thanks! :)
hi.. i think that law is stronger at USYD, but UNSW has more of a business focus. Sydney uni and Melbourne Uni are pretty much considered the top law schools in Australia, though UNSW would not be far behind (especially at the undergrad levels). Overall, USYD vies with the ANU and the Uni of Melbourne for the mantle of the most internationally prestigious uni in Australia.

I spoke to the head of the head of the finance discipline at USYD a while ago, and he said that both unis are very similar and just as good as each other(overall), & they regularly poach each other's staff. then again your choice also depends on what you want to major in as well.

The thing with law degrees is this - they all pretty much cover the same material - they have to - for the purposes of being recognised for admission. u shld also check how the degree is taught.. ie. more emphasis on practice as opposed to theory.

personally, i'd choose unsw b/c of the stronger business focus. then again, degrees from either uni are well respected. if you do plan to practice law, SOME law firms only hire grads from the most prestigious unis (for the img) - so the rep of the uni can count as much as your ability..

just a thought..
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)