late round offer: helpp!! law@UTS or commerce @UNSW (1 Viewer)

Colour

HSC
Hi, i got into bachelor of law/buisness at UTS for my main round offer and in my late round offer i got into a combined commerce degree at UNSW, going into comm/science more likely

What do you think is a better choice? Pros cons?

background info: enjoyed legal studies but didn't do any business or eco subs, so would it be more difficult to do a commerce course?

Does prestige matter? UNSW school of business is really good, top in nsw :rolleyes2:, and UTS law school number 12 :frown2: not sure if this will matter as there are transferring options.

What do you/would you think/recommend/prefer?

Another factor is employment which would give better prospects?

Thanks for reading.

inb4 whydontwehaveboth.jpg

er15

HSC
Personally, do what you're interested in and you'll be happy.

End of the day prestige/what not will not matter, only your GPA.

And my brother did Commerce/Law at UNSW without doing any Eco/Business related subjects during his HSC and done really well. So in the end it's up to you and regardless of that alone you'll do extremely well if you put the effort in :)

However, you're the one you have to make happy. So it is really a matter of what's important to you and your personal preference. But I would suggest Law/Business as you mentioned you enjoyed Legal studies :)

goobi

HSC
how did you get an offer at unsw commerce in the late round? the cut-off rose to 99.95
Obviously I don't know OP's ATAR but he did get into business/law@UTS whose cut-off was 97.2 in the main round. So if his or her ATAR was 97.2 (which could be higher), he would definitely get into combined commerce@UNSW in the late round with the assistance of HSC Plus.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi, i got into bachelor of law/buisness at UTS for my main round offer and in my late round offer i got into a combined commerce degree at UNSW, going into comm/science more likely

What do you think is a better choice? Pros cons?

background info: enjoyed legal studies but didn't do any business or eco subs, so would it be more difficult to do a commerce course?

Does prestige matter? UNSW school of business is really good, top in nsw :rolleyes2:, and UTS law school number 12 :frown2: not sure if this will matter as there are transferring options.

What do you/would you think/recommend/prefer?

Another factor is employment which would give better prospects?

Thanks for reading.

inb4 whydontwehaveboth.jpg
You pick what you like.

Redyapper

HSC
N/A
Woah that's a pretty high ATAR for BCom! OK, so I don't really understand the whole process- could someone please explain what late round offers are and why the cut off (for Commerce at least) is higher than the initial ATAR cut-off?

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
Woah that's a pretty high ATAR for BCom! OK, so I don't really understand the whole process- could someone please explain what late round offers are and why the cut off (for Commerce at least) is higher than the initial ATAR cut-off?
late round is the round of university offers which occurs 2 weeks after the main round where most of the offers are given out. by this stage, the popular courses are almost full, therefore to fill the last remaining places, the universities jack up their atar requirement so that the top students fill the remaining positions. the final round follows the late round on wednesday next week.

Redyapper

HSC
N/A
late round is the round of university offers which occurs 2 weeks after the main round where most of the offers are given out. by this stage, the popular courses are almost full, therefore to fill the last remaining places, the universities jack up their atar requirement so that the top students fill the remaining positions. the final round follows the late round on wednesday next week.
Oh I understand- thanks!

Redyapper

HSC
N/A
and also, one more question- what's a 'stream'? For example on the UNSW website, they mention that a course has 'only a depth component related to the Business Studies stream.' I am so clueless about all this :/

J18134

HSC
Thats the right idea explained wrongly. The universities dont jack up their atar requirements. The unis dont preemptively decide the cut offs. What does happen is that there are so few places in the most popular courses that only the people with higher atars get into the course.

For example lets say theres 1 place left for a BCom at UNSW and three people apply with the following ATARS. 99.95, 96.25 and 94, the spot will go to the person with 99.95

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
Thats the right idea explained wrongly. The universities dont jack up their atar requirements. The unis dont preemptively decide the cut offs. What does happen is that there are so few places in the most popular courses that only the people with higher atars get into the course.

For example lets say theres 1 place left for a BCom at UNSW and three people apply with the following ATARS. 99.95, 96.25 and 94, the spot will go to the person with 99.95
you can further explain it like that but "universities jack up their atar requirement so that the top students fill the remaining positions." is already simplified enough.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
and also, one more question- what's a 'stream'? For example on the UNSW website, they mention that a course has 'only a depth component related to the Business Studies stream.' I am so clueless about all this :/
Stream? That might be the major. You'll have to post the link so we can read it in context.

J18134

HSC
you can further explain it like that but "universities jack up their atar requirement so that the top students fill the remaining positions." is already simplified enough.
Im just being picky... probably because of your avatar :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)