Attending lectures that you didn't enrol in (1 Viewer)

addoil

HSC
I have some activities planned on a particular Friday soon and since I only have lectures on Fridays, I've been told I can just crash other lecture classes.
Now I'm wondering how to determine whether the class I'm gonna crash is going to be teaching the same things as what I'm going to be missing out on in my original classes?

Thanks

D94

HSC
N/A
Some lecturers will go faster or slower than others. They might put more focus into one area and less in another. You can't really 'determine'; just cover the lecture you missed in your own time, or during that other time slot.

addoil

HSC
So it is not worth the effort going to a different lecture class?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Unless you're supposed to go to both (which isn't the case here), they'll both teach the same thing. You can go to whichever one you want.

D94

HSC
N/A
Unless you're supposed to go to both (which isn't the case here), they'll both teach the same thing. You can go to whichever one you want.
No, she means say there are 2 lecture streams, 3 lectures in each, you go to 2 from lecture stream 1 and 1 from lecture stream 1. But the different lecturers in each stream will teach at different rates, so you might end up going to a lecture which you've already covered.

D94

HSC
N/A
So it is not worth the effort going to a different lecture class?
You could try it once and see if they teach at the same rate. Assuming it's maths or physics, you could teach yourself and take the day off. (that's what I did)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No, she means say there are 2 lecture streams, 3 lectures in each, you go to 2 from lecture stream 1 and 1 from lecture stream 1. But the different lecturers in each stream will teach at different rates, so you might end up going to a lecture which you've already covered.
Really? That's a strange system.

If that's the case, then it's probably safer to stick to the one stream. I mean, you could probably manage all right if you jumped between, but you'd miss/double-up stuff from time to time I imagine.

D94

HSC
N/A
Really? That's a strange system.

If that's the case, then it's probably safer to stick to the one stream. I mean, you could probably manage all right if you jumped between, but you'd miss/double-up stuff from time to time I imagine.
Hold up, we might be talking about different things. (or that I'm just reading you wrong)

Yes there are multiple streams, and you should be going to 1 of them. However, since OP doesn't want to go to the Friday lecture (e.g. stream A), she wants to see if she can go to one of the lectures in Stream B. So she's asking if the things they learn align up. (well, that's my understanding of the question).

So at UNSW (going by the sig), since each stream is usually taught by different lecturers, it's probably best to stick to one of them since they use different notes, teach at different rates, may spend more time in section and less in another etc.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No, I think you're right. And now that you've explained it (that's it's different lectures), it makes more sense.

I'm used to double lectures with the second just being a rehash of the first in case you couldn't get to it. So it doesn't matter which you go to. If it's different lecturers with slightly different plans, then it follows that they could be different, and therefore, it's worth sticking to the one.

Rawf

HSC
Is it okay if I attend a different lecture from the very start? (and always attend that one rather than the one I'm enrolled in?)

& will there be exams in my lectures? :L how different is the paces of other lecture streams?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Provided that the tutorial material is the same (it will be), then the same content will be taught.

Keep in mind that the style of teaching may be different depending on the type of students in the lecture (e.g. one lecturer may think that the students are more than capable so they might only go over basic content briefly etc.).

In terms of attending different lectures from the start, this should be fine but yes, some mid-semester exams (and final exams) are done in lectures and you MUST go to the one on your timetable in those instances.

Rawf

HSC
Provided that the tutorial material is the same (it will be), then the same content will be taught.

Keep in mind that the style of teaching may be different depending on the type of students in the lecture (e.g. one lecturer may think that the students are more than capable so they might only go over basic content briefly etc.).

In terms of attending different lectures from the start, this should be fine but yes, some mid-semester exams (and final exams) are done in lectures and you MUST go to the one on your timetable in those instances.
Are there many exams in lectures for first years? My friends told me to read the course outline but it doesn't state anywhere that there are in-lecture exams.

It only states that there is an exam in-tutorial.

http://www.asb.unsw.edu.au/schools/...ness_and_Economic_Statistics_S12013_PartA.pdf

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Are there many exams in lectures for first years? My friends told me to read the course outline but it doesn't state anywhere that there are in-lecture exams.

It only states that there is an exam in-tutorial.

http://www.asb.unsw.edu.au/schools/...ness_and_Economic_Statistics_S12013_PartA.pdf
There really isn't a definitive answer on this as it differs between universities and their individual units of study.

From what I have personally seen, mid-sem exams in lectures are reserved for those larger units of study where it is not feasible to run an exam in a tute (e.g. students sharing answers between specific tute times; I had a couple for biology and a couple for economics but those were out of class hours).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
There really isn't a definitive answer on this as it differs between universities and their individual units of study.

From what I have personally seen, mid-sem exams in lectures are reserved for those larger units of study where it is not feasible to run an exam in a tute (e.g. students sharing answers between specific tute times; I had a couple for biology and a couple for economics but those were out of class hours).
Yeah, i've only heard of an exam being held in a lecture once. I know at UTS sometimes mid sems are done formally over the easter "break".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)