When do people socially start to form at Uni (1 Viewer)

Newguy

Banned
HSC
N/A
Being O-week, do people usually make their main uni friends there? or is it at tutorials?

Because I didn't enjoy my first O-week day to much

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Mainly in tutorials - I'm only friends with a few people from O-Week (it's probably because I see them often, same train, course etc).

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
O week is a good chance to meet people, but it can sometimes be difficult to make friends because a lot of people go in groups.

Tutes are a great way to meet people and chat and ask if they want to hang out/grab a coffee after.

Clubs and societies I think are the best, because you're guaranteed to have a couple of things in common (hence being in the same society).

Newguy

Banned
HSC
N/A
Mainly in tutorials - I'm only friends with a few people from O-Week (it's probably because I see them often, same train, course etc).
Really? Because I really didn't meet anyone during lectures. Mind you, it is only the first day.

Newguy

Banned
HSC
N/A
I am just a bit depressed, because today I was hoping to meet a few new people, and potentially become friends

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Really? Because I really didn't meet anyone during lectures. Mind you, it is only the first day.
In lectures there are about ~300 people, it will be difficult to make friends. Try tutorials, there are about ~25 people, so it'll be easier to strike a conversation. Sometimes tutors will even conduct an ice-breaker session to facilitate some contact/friendship.

If the aforementioned doesn't work then join clubs or societies.

Gigacube

HSC
I had my first day of Uni today and I made some new friends. I did go to UTS' oday stuff and an ocamp as well but it's fairly easy to sit next to someone you don't know in a lecture and get to know them.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Did you sit next to anyone and make conversation? Sometimes you can be unfortunate enough to sit next to someone who's just really antisocial/awkward, but if you ask questions like what course/subjects they're doing, most people are keen for a chat because you're all new and nervous.

Newguy

Banned
HSC
N/A
I had my first day of Uni today and I made some new friends. I did go to UTS' oday stuff and an ocamp as well but it's fairly easy to sit next to someone you don't know in a lecture and get to know them.

Explain :) Like I don't want to be weird or something.

In lectures there are about ~300 people, it will be difficult to make friends. Try tutorials, there are about ~25 people, so it'll be easier to strike a conversation. Sometimes tutors will even conduct an ice-breaker session to facilitate some contact/friendship.

If the aforementioned doesn't work then join clubs or societies.
Tuts don't start until next week :(

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Also, try before lectures. If you're both waiting for the same class you've got something to talk about and time to do it.

Gigacube

HSC
Explain :) Like I don't want to be weird or something.
Don't worry about being weird! Just remember that everyone is new and most people won't know other people. Even if you do know someone it's still a good idea to sit next to someone you don't know so that you get to know other people.

Just sit down and say 'Hi' to the people next to you. If the lecture hasn't started then ask what course they're in (pretty good question as there's always a few degrees studied), where they're from, what school, how they found oweek, etc. Just basic questions because you won't have much time to talk.

Newguy

Banned
HSC
N/A
Also, try before lectures. If you're both waiting for the same class you've got something to talk about and time to do it.
How would I do that AZ.

Today, before my lecture, everyone was pretty nervous quite. Since the A/C died during the lecture, no one was bothered to talk etc .

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
How would I do that AZ.

Today, before my lecture, everyone was pretty nervous quite. Since the A/C died during the lecture, no one was bothered to talk etc .
Some derivative of "Is this [whatever class you're taking]?" is a pretty standard opener

izzy88

HSC
How would I do that AZ.

You will also get to recognise people in your classes (lectures and tutorials). This helps for talking to people and approaching them. Even asking a question about the class, making a comment about something that has happened in an earlier lecture - even making some comment about the weather! (boiling hot, pouring with rain, why won't the air con work/isn't it freezing in here :p)

When I was in early years of uni we had a crew that was always sitting outside the lecture theatre waiting for the previous class to finish - if you get to the classroom 10-15 minutes early that can be a good way of meeting people and talking to them (whether lecture or tutorial).

Repeating what others have said, clubs and societies are a great way to meet people as well. You will all have a common interest, and usually there will be a lot of other people that don't know each other, so there will be a lot of mixing. That, and the older students running the society will want ensure new people are engaged and interested and talking to people (they want people to be happy and stay members!).

Edit: One other thing - if you are in a faculty that runs a first year camp go on it! They are fun and a great way of meeting people who are in your year and doing subjects similar to you.

Power Rangers

HSC
N/A
i made most of my current uni friends in the middle of 2nd semester

i don't speak to most of my o-week/semester 1 friends anymore

HSC
don't ask questions that require a yes/no answer, just be yourself, show your interests! And even if you're a 'weird' person their is many like you at UNI

HKspec009

HSC
Just be A Loner and finish uni the depressing way lol

**Forget your sorrows come on get HAPPY !!

Last edited:

FreeLearner

HSC
I made an awesome friend today lol after a lecture, it was so random how it happened lol, but it turned out we had soooo much in common and he was a great guy!! Might have just been luck honestly I think it was an act of god...! and the funny thing was I wasn't planning to go to the labs after the lecture, however, I decided to at the last second....I hope you find some great friends! Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)