How to study for Uni? (1 Viewer)

Lachlan_B

HSC
Hi Guys,

Like many of you I just began studying a bachelor of commerce. Just wondering what should I be doing? Should I be typing up lecture slides? Do I type up my textbook, which seems really time consuming? Or do I just do the tutorial questions?

Thanks!

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
having studied commerce myself, i found the best way to study was to just be able to relate concepts to real life, think critically and finish tute questions before each tute. oh and if you attend lectures, write notes. write shit that the lecturer emphasises on. if the lecture slide is missing something and the lecturer talks about it, write, write write! having more info is better than none imo.

if you're brave enough, ask tutors heaps of questions during tutes. that's what they get paid for so you might as well take advantage of it.

do not type the lecture slides or type up your textbook. would be a waste of time imo. careful about doing more work that what is needed. there is such a thing as working too much that it decreases your efficiency - diminishing marginal returns ;)

my current gpa is roughly just under a distinction @ 74~. not great, but that's what the above has helped me get.

Last edited:

danielau

HSC
having studied commerce myself, i found the best way to study was to just be able to relate concepts to real life, think critically and finish tute questions before each tute. oh and if you attend lectures, write notes. write shit that the lecturer emphasises on. if the lecture slide is missing something and the lecturer talks about it, write, write write! having more info is better than none imo.

if you're brave enough, ask tutors heaps of questions during tutes. that's what they get paid for so you might as well take advantage of it.

do not type the lecture slides or type up your textbook. would be a waste of time imo. careful about doing more work that what is needed. there is such a thing as working too much that it decreases your efficiency - diminishing marginal returns ;)

my current gpa is roughly just under a distinction @ 74~. not great, but that's what the above has helped me get.
I have been summarizing the lecture slides and noticing im just xopy pasting to another document. Is this a waste of time? Im not sure how else i can study because i only jave lecture notes. Maybe there will be more work with tutes?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I have been summarizing the lecture slides and noticing im just xopy pasting to another document. Is this a waste of time? Im not sure how else i can study because i only jave lecture notes. Maybe there will be more work with tutes?
The lecture slides are a summary in itself. Summarising a summary won't really take you far.

What have you been doing in the lectures?

Also, the tutorials are a good indicator of what you should be studying. Exams and the like are pretty much more advanced questions (e.g. problem solving) in the similar ilk to the tute questions.

danielau

HSC
The lecture slides are a summary in itself. Summarising a summary won't really take you far.

What have you been doing in the lectures?

Also, the tutorials are a good indicator of what you should be studying. Exams and the like are pretty much more advanced questions (e.g. problem solving) in the similar ilk to the tute questions.
We just started week 1 here at UNSW so had no tutes yet. What have I been doing in lectures? Listening to lecture and taking some notes here and there. Since I haven't done much more in terms of lectures I feel there is no material to study from like the syllabus in HSC. I've just been summaring lecture notes but I guess thats stupid since it is already summarized. Should I wait for tutes first so I know what to study or am is there a university equivalent of a syllabus so I know what to study? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)