What should we call our Phd teachers and Masters/Bach teachers (1 Viewer)

HSC
1st year noob

Generally if someone has a Phd do we call them Dr, Prof, Sir/Miss or simply name?

And those with Master or Bach what do we call them? Name or Sir/Miss

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
They will generally introduce themselves how they want to be referred to.

Phds have the title Dr. and Masters/Bachelor is nothing special so just Mr/Miss/Mrs

Martinacal

HSC
My science teacher is technically a DR not a MRS, but no one remembers this, most students assume she is a MRS and she accepts that

spence

HSC
I've always just called tutors by their first name, in my experience that's what almost everyone does

D94

HSC
N/A
PhD => Doctor. Doesn't matter if they are a Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Professor etc., the academic title of Dr. is awarded to anyone with a PhD (or alike, such as an SJD or a ThD etc.).

The title/rank of Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor, Professor etc. are awarded by the institution. Associate Professor or Professor do have PhD's, but a Lecturer and Senior Lecturer may or may not have a PhD. So don't just call anyone a Professor.

For Bachelors and Masters, the title is simply Mr/Miss/Mrs etc.

Everyone will have their own preference though, if you're not sure, you could just Google their university profile and see their rank/title. Or you could just call them by their first name.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I've never called any academic or tutor by anything other than their first name.

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
All my lecturers, doctors or not, ask us to call them by first name.

HSC
Okay fair enough, its just in my cultural background its rude to call our instructor or superior by name, so i feel uncomfortable lol

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
In my experience when talking to them in person it's fairly common to refer to them by name and a lot of lecturers and tutors (they sometimes have PhD's too) will tell you that when they introduce themselves in the first class. Though when you are sending an email i'd reccomend being as formal as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)