University then army? (1 Viewer)

Beckiesm

HSC
The questions of what to do after you've completed your degree/s at university lingers in everyones mind. Its not an easy decision as it'sa huge step to finally have to settle into your major career for the rest of your life. Well its not like your trapped you can change jobs but thats not as easy as it sounds. Say your doing a double degree of Bachelor of Business and bachelor of Arts (philosophy). And your trap in what to do after, could you join the army? is it a good idea or will it blow up in your face. What jobs would be avaliable would you just go for the position of a general officer or something else. The dream of helping/serving your country is a huge commitment to make. Because once you've signed up you have a minimum time to stay ie a year.
So to repeat my question double degree of Bachelor of Business and bachelor of Arts (philosophy) and you want to join the army after whats avaliable in the army with that degree?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The army doesn't need arts graduates, they need engineers and doctors etc.

aceer

HSC
Just apply for ADFA, get paid for military training and study

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Not sure about arts but you can definitely do a Bachelor of Business at ADFA. I'd assume you wouldn't have much of a choice with majors though.

enoilgam

HSC
what role does a bachelor of business play within the army?
The Army is an organisation similar to any other business, I would imagine they still need accountants, HR people, marketers, other administrative people (supply chain etc).

so_what

HSC
You cannot go to ADFA once already in university. You need to apply in year 11.

Of course you can join the army. It is what I want to do. I'm doing a B Arts/B Ed and I will most likely apply as an Education Officer. If you go to the Army website, you can see exactly what you need to do certain jobs. If you want to stick to Business/Arts stuff, then this http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/BusinessAdminEducation/ would be your area to look at.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The Army is an organisation similar to any other business, I would imagine they still need accountants, HR people, marketers, other administrative people (supply chain etc).
Those people are a dime a dozen though. Not like doctors and engineers who are hard to recruit.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Not sure about that but you can still definitely be a sponsored undergraduate though.

so_what

HSC
Also, upon recruitment it is a minimum of three years service before you can leave. Apply for the Army Reserve whilst in university to get a feel for it maybe? It'll give you an insight into what Army life is like. Plus, it looks really good to prospective employers as it will show great teamwork, ability to work under pressure, etc...

so_what

HSC
After I'd already started UNSW, I had a change of heart and wanted to see if I could apply for ADFA. I emailed them and they said it was not an option at that stage and should try for sponsorship or reserves.

Homo Sapien

HSC

Of course you can join the army. It is what I want to do. I'm doing a B Arts/B Ed and I will most likely apply as an Education Officer. If you go to the Army website, you can see exactly what you need to do certain jobs. If you want to stick to Business/Arts stuff, then this http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/army/BusinessAdminEducation/ would be your area to look at.
Correct.

But if you are doing Medicine or getting exceptionally good marks in engineering and satisfy their criteria you can apply for ADF Sponsorship which is awesome!

Homo Sapien

HSC
Also, upon recruitment it is a minimum of three years service before you can leave. Apply for the Army Reserve whilst in university to get a feel for it maybe? It'll give you an insight into what Army life is like. Plus, it looks really good to prospective employers as it will show great teamwork, ability to work under pressure, etc...
Off course there is ROSO, why would they pay you otherwise... most people who apply are ones who appreciate and enjoy the army lifestyle so ROSO isn't a problem.

so_what

HSC
Off course there is ROSO, why would they pay you otherwise... most people who apply are ones who appreciate and enjoy the army lifestyle so ROSO isn't a problem.
Yes, my bad forgot to mention that. Well, OP has a rough idea of what he is getting himself into now right? You can't just join the army because you can't find another job, chances are the recruiters will see you are not motivated and it's a second option. So unless you really want to serve your country, I do not recommend applying. It's the Army remember? You could be sent off to war.

Homo Sapien

HSC
Yes, my bad forgot to mention that. Well, OP has a rough idea of what he is getting himself into now right? You can't just join the army because you can't find another job, chances are the recruiters will see you are not motivated and it's a second option. So unless you really want to serve your country, I do not recommend applying. It's the Army remember? You could be sent off to war.
I am seriously considering applying for sponsorship if I get into medicine this year.
ROSO doesn't really seem that bad especially for engineers because the pay is better than civilian pay and you gain a lot of good experience that can help you get a job in the real world.
If you are not prepared for the army lifestyle and their seemingly 'unnecessary' rules which you have to follow precisely and the fact that you can be sent to war any day or be deployed in a base anywhere around the world then don't apply :)

so_what

HSC
I am seriously considering applying for sponsorship if I get into medicine this year.
ROSO doesn't really seem that bad especially for engineers because the pay is better than civilian pay and you gain a lot of good experience that can help you get a job in the real world.
If you are not prepared for the army lifestyle and their seemingly 'unnecessary' rules which you have to follow precisely and the fact that you can be sent to war any day or be deployed in a base anywhere around the world then don't apply :)
Go for that sponsorship :D It's really great that you want to do it. I shall be applying for the reserves this year, admin clerk here I come.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)