Bachelor of Commerce questions. (1 Viewer)

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Hi, economics is probably my worst subject besides english and I'm hoping to drop it by next term.

My question is, does the bachelor of commerce have anything to do with economics and would it help?

Can you also briefly go over what the bachelor of commerce involves?

Edit: I'm hoping to go to UNSW

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, economics is probably my worst subject besides english and I'm hoping to drop it by next term.

My question is, does the bachelor of commerce have anything to do with economics and would it help?

HSC Eco from what I've heard from friends has not a lot to do with Commerce - in a few subjects like Micro/Macro L1 it is a repeat of the concepts but nothing else. Well any knowledge is better than none but again its not hard to learn from scratch.

Commerce is a pretty broad field what it involves has to do with the major selected; accounting, finance, marketing, international business etc... have a look on google what each means and if you're not sure then hit me up again.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
It really depends on the university in which you attend. Some unis have economics as one of their core units in first year, whereas some do not. You can check out the uni website in which you want to do commerce at, or call the faculty for further queries.

madharris

HSC
N/A
When I was considering commerce, my career advisor told me that economics at school is a load of bs and has almost nothing to do with commerce

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
When I was considering commerce, my career advisor told me that economics at school is a load of bs and has almost nothing to do with commerce
Economics in high school is not bs at! It is the building blocks for 1st year economics in uni.

Probably economics in high school has less maths compared to university economics.

And a commerce degree is very broad , it has marketing, accounting, finance, management etc. depends on what you major in then economics might be relevant. If I'm aiming to do marketing, then obviously I do not need economics, but if I'm continuing to do economics in university, then it might help me.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC

You'll most likely have one unit in a Commerce degree, pretty much a rehash of HSC Economics but slightly more in depth.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
hmm, so if I dropped economics it wouldn't disadvantage me in commerce?

is business studies helpful in this course? (I don't do business studies)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I never did business studies or economics in high school, but I've found both to be simple enough to understand at first year level. I know there were quite a few in my classes who did do one or the other or both and they said it helped, but those of us that did neither didn't struggle. If I remember, neither economics or business studies were perquisites or assumed knowledge here :)

RishBonjour

HSC

Edit: I'm hoping to go to UNSW
1 core subject is economics (although I do another as an elective). The rest is accounting, management etc.
It would certainly help, I mean if you love eco, you should find the economics related subjects relatively easy to understand. At UNSW, they had opportunity cost and comparative advantage etc (one of my friends asked me as she didn't do eco) - But really, it won't matter, everything is taught from the basic level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)