Study full time, work part time OR study part time, work full time - Which Is Better? (1 Viewer)

nessc26

HSC
I feel like i desperately need to get experience in an office environment, as I am completing my first degree at the end of this year and have only retail experience. In my 2nd undergraduate degree I am planning on working at the same time.

Should I work full time and get my experience up, or study full time and get my 2nd degree out of the way earlier, while working?

From your experience, is it better to study full time, and work part time, OR TO work full time and study part time......?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Study full time, work part time OR study part time, work full time - Which Is Bet

What was your first degree/what is your second?

Working is great for experience. It looks good for your resume and has the added bonus of giving you an income!

I've done full time work/part time study and part time work/full time study, so hopefully I can help a bit.

1)Full Time Work/Part Time Study
I was working 5 days a week, 8.30-5 in a mid-tier insovlency firm. I attended university 3 nights a week (2 subjects, but one had the lecture and tutorial on different evenings).
I found balancing work and study in this situation was hard, mostly because of the nature of the work. I was expected to work extra hours, and I would come home exhausted and drained and could not focus on my study.
Looking back, I should have left sooner.

To be fair, working in insolvency isn't exactly a walk in the park. It's a very stressful environment. If I was working full time at the firm I am with now, I think I could have managed a lot better. I'd recommend, if you did follow this path, try to avoid stressful jobs and find somewhere that values the fact you have study commitments too.

2) Part time work/Full time study (also part time study)
I love this option, and I think its more to do with my age and where I am working.
Evening classes were okay, but I felt a little left out because everybody else was a mature aged student and I was a school leaver. I also feel now, the teaching standard were less than the day classes.

My job now is also fantastic because they understand I go to university and need to have time to focus on that too. I'm only working in a small tax firm now, but its a far more relaxed environment and I love it here. Nobody really works overtime, and its very much a case of if you don't finish today, then just start tomorrow :)

The other thing is, I'm studying part time now, but last semester I did full time. It's very hard to be able to fit in all your subjects AND have time to work, just because most office jobs are Mon-Fri only and 4 units of study usually means 3/4 days a week minimum.

I prefer part time/part time. I've only got 2 subjects/2 days a week at uni, and only 3 days in the office. I could have done an evening class as well so as to be a full time student, but I decided just to focus on doing well in these two instead.

Don't forget, you can always do the summer/winter break courses to catch up. Part time doesn't necessarily mean 6 years for a degree. If you mix it up between 2 and 3 subjects, plus the short courses its more like 4.5 years :p

nessc26

HSC
Re: Study full time, work part time OR study part time, work full time - Which Is Bet

What was your first degree/what is your second?

I prefer part time/part time. I've only got 2 subjects/2 days a week at uni, and only 3 days in the office. I could have done an evening class as well so as to be a full time student, but I decided just to focus on doing well in these two instead.

Don't forget, you can always do the summer/winter break courses to catch up. Part time doesn't necessarily mean 6 years for a degree. If you mix it up between 2 and 3 subjects, plus the short courses its more like 4.5 years :p

My current degree is a bachelor of arts majoring in psychology and spanish & latin american studies.
If I don't get in any grad programs I am thinking of studying a bachelor of business majoring in human resources, marketing and tourism management.

I only so far have experience in retail (not as a leader, just team member positions), so I feel like I need to get out there and get some relevant experience quick, as I am getting older (I had a gap year after high school) and I need to be able to compete with others in the workforce.

thanks for suggesting part time/part time, I had never really considered it! That sounds like it might be the perfect mix for me, especially if I do the catch up subjects in summer school...only problem is I would really like to study at UTS Kuring- gai, but it looks like you cant study part time there...and I dont know whether I could get into UTS in the city as my ATAR is below the cutoff...but I have maintained a credit average in my current degree...I dont know :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)