What Should I do? I'm so confused (1 Viewer)

amyamyamy14

HSC
I began studying a Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Teaching in 2011. I enjoyed the bachelor of arts part of my the degree as I loved studying literature, but I hated the idea of teaching students in high school. I finished the course after semester one in 2012, and took the rest of the year off because my mum had cancer. This year I started a Bachelor of Education (Primary) as I though maybe I am suited better for younger children, which is true. But I am starting to feel maybe teaching isn't for me at the moment. My heart isn't really in it, my heart is in literature and writing. I know the job prospects are low, but its what my heart wants. My head is telling me to finish my education degree in 2.5 years, then do graduate studies in literature, but i'm not sure if I can do 2.5 more years.

I told my family and they were not happy. They don't believe I can make anything out of myself with a literature degree and the only way I can become successful is with an education degree.

Its not like I will be starting a new degree, I will be finishing off from a couple of years ago (minus the teaching part), but my family don't get that. To finish off my bachelor of arts from 2011, it should take me 1.5-2 years. Then I really want to do a masters

I am currently at ACU

what should I do?

amyamyamy14

HSC
I think I might finish my education degree, then look at finding a masters program in arts, then take it from there. At least I will have teaching as the back-up, plus I could always do casual relief teaching (its like $50 an hour)

Kat92

HSC
I think I might finish my education degree, then look at finding a masters program in arts, then take it from there. At least I will have teaching as the back-up, plus I could always do casual relief teaching (its like $50 an hour)
There are many alternatives that you can take if you were to stay in teaching:

(1) Complete the Secondary English component if you desire- that way you can teach both primary and secondary literature.

(2) Select English/Linguistics as your DDS-- this is what I am currently doing within my BA/Prim Teach and love it.

(3) Get your GPA up so that you can be involved in academia/ honours projects later on.

(4) Perhaps do a Grad Diploma in Applied Linguistics- most of these are only 6 months- 1 yr (but it would probably depend on how ACU works).

(5) If you have the grades consider Masters or a Doctorate as it will give you a competitive edge

(6) As for the casual relief/ tutoring, there is a growing need for this and can easily help you on your way to more competitive job alternatives.

However, the best advice I can give is: ultimately at the end of the day go with your heart and what you feel comfortable in. I know a lot of people who have completed just the Bachelor of Arts component and they are doing quite well.

Good Luck with your decision! :)

Last edited:

amyamyamy14

HSC
Thank-you so much. You have listed so many great suggestions.

I wish my course was Bachelor of Arts and Primary.

I think I might do a Graduate Dipolma in Arts (English Literature), then possibly a Postgrad Dipolma in arts (English Literature) then a masters if I want to do further work in academia.

Kat92

HSC
Thank-you so much. You have listed so many great suggestions.

I wish my course was Bachelor of Arts and Primary.

I think I might do a Graduate Dipolma in Arts (English Literature), then possibly a Postgrad Dipolma in arts (English Literature) then a masters if I want to do further work in academia.
Not a problem! I actually had the same sort of talk with one of my lecturer's in 1st year and he was a great help in explaining options.

It certainly does cause a few problems if you have interests in more than one area, as I found myself in a similar position until I planned it out.

Glad to hear that you have a plan of where you are headed. Best wishes with it all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)