What options are available for those who aren't doing maths? (1 Viewer)

jadiskris

HSC
Just a general questions I can't seem to find a satisfied answer with by asking everyone around me. If someone chose not to do maths for yr 11 and 12 what options are actually available? I know to get the maximum choices you should do maths + a science subject or maybe general science or something but what about those who are not doing maths or any science subjects at all? Would they be strictly limited?

For example, definitely out of the question courses would be something like commerce and accounting right?
What about Economics then?
Also what is the bridging courses all about?

Thanks!

R4diance

HSC
Possibly Arts, Business, Design or something along those lines are suggestions. Bridging courses offered by some unis upgrade your knowledge of subjects that you haven't done in your HSC. However you can still enrol for your preferred courses without bridging, but you will be disadvantaged. Don't worry too much, there are others who don't do math for their HSC either, and still cope in uni. Best of luck :D

aekryan

HSC
Law, commerce, medicine, eco, buisness, science.. everything except engineering and actuary is viable option if you dont enjoy math.

madharris

HSC
N/A
What are your interests? If business is what you want to do then do business!
To my knowledge, in commerce, depending on your major, you don't need too much maths so if you're interested in that then do that
I heard that in eco you actually need a decent maths ability as it's actually quite difficult so i think that would be more out of the question than commerce/business.
You will be given a UAC book in year 12 by your school, which you can look up degrees from all units in NSW and canberra that you may be interested in! It will also give info regarding each course including what subjects are assumed and/or recommended. Look through this to see what might interest you and maybe you can do some further research online such as look at the student handbooks which go into quite a lot of info about the degree

Bridging courses are courses that last a few days/weeks in the summer holidays before uni to catch you up on some subjects (mainly general maths, 2u, 3u, chemistry, biology, physics) that you might not have done in school/might not be confident in your ability to do it - basically a crash course in that subject!

Sorry, i'm rambling as i'm tired but it hopefully it makes sense!!! :)

HSC
I dropped math and I plan on doing finance/accounting loool, just do a bridging course :)

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should at least try 2 unit maths for year 11 and drop it for yr 12 with no harm done. Maths is important for almost all degrees and I heard bridging courses are a hassle.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Law, commerce, medicine, eco, buisness, science.. everything except engineering and actuary is viable option if you dont enjoy math.
there's maths in commerce and economics so idk

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol there's math in Eco and commerce .

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Just a general questions I can't seem to find a satisfied answer with by asking everyone around me. If someone chose not to do maths for yr 11 and 12 what options are actually available? I know to get the maximum choices you should do maths + a science subject or maybe general science or something but what about those who are not doing maths or any science subjects at all? Would they be strictly limited?

For example, definitely out of the question courses would be something like commerce and accounting right?
What about Economics then?
Also what is the bridging courses all about?

Thanks!
My mate didn't do maths and now he's studying USYD Commerce.

All he had to do was a 2 week bridging course before uni started.

If you hate maths, don't do it for the next two years. Just get a good enough ATAR and cram it for 2 weeks- they'll teach you only what you need to know for the course.

Screw maths!

jadiskris

HSC
My mate didn't do maths and now he's studying USYD Commerce.

All he had to do was a 2 week bridging course before uni started.

If you hate maths, don't do it for the next two years. Just get a good enough ATAR and cram it for 2 weeks- they'll teach you only what you need to know for the course.

Screw maths!
Thanks!
I've heard bridging courses can contain a lot of information and all crammed within a few weeks but they are actually on the bits and pieces you do need. I think so too, instead of sitting through two years of maths which I don't actually enjoy to a great extent, I should just drop it and concentrate on getting the highest possible ATAR I can with the subjects I do enjoy.

Thanks once again for your reply it was very helpful! :)

jadiskris

HSC
Possibly Arts, Business, Design or something along those lines are suggestions. Bridging courses offered by some unis upgrade your knowledge of subjects that you haven't done in your HSC. However you can still enrol for your preferred courses without bridging, but you will be disadvantaged. Don't worry too much, there are others who don't do math for their HSC either, and still cope in uni. Best of luck :D
Wow for a current year ten student the amount of information you already know is quite impressive :)
I would presume so since I'm in year eleven and I had absolutely no idea on the things you just told me ahaha.

Thank you!
Best of luck to you as well in the next two and a half years :D

jadiskris

HSC
What are your interests? If business is what you want to do then do business!
To my knowledge, in commerce, depending on your major, you don't need too much maths so if you're interested in that then do that
I heard that in eco you actually need a decent maths ability as it's actually quite difficult so i think that would be more out of the question than commerce/business.
You will be given a UAC book in year 12 by your school, which you can look up degrees from all units in NSW and canberra that you may be interested in! It will also give info regarding each course including what subjects are assumed and/or recommended. Look through this to see what might interest you and maybe you can do some further research online such as look at the student handbooks which go into quite a lot of info about the degree

Bridging courses are courses that last a few days/weeks in the summer holidays before uni to catch you up on some subjects (mainly general maths, 2u, 3u, chemistry, biology, physics) that you might not have done in school/might not be confident in your ability to do it - basically a crash course in that subject!

Sorry, i'm rambling as i'm tired but it hopefully it makes sense!!! :)
I'm actually more interested in Economics than Business or Commerce but who knows it might change in the future. I was surprised to find out Economics involves a great portion of maths as well but I'm doing alright right now since I was always above average in maths but I just chose not to do it because I don't enjoy it at all. The UAC handbook huh? Thanks! I'll see if I can get an actual copy from some of my year twelve friends this year just so I can get a basic idea of everything.

Thank you for taking your time to reply, it has helped me a lot!

jadiskris

HSC
I think you should at least try 2 unit maths for year 11 and drop it for yr 12 with no harm done. Maths is important for almost all degrees and I heard bridging courses are a hassle.
Truth is I took up 2U maths at the beginning of the year but dropped it after three weeks because I wasn't enjoy it at all.
It's a decision I don't regret because I switched it for Legal Studies and for this subject I'm sitting safely at the top of the class atm so all is well - for now anyway aha. However I do agree with what you've said about maths being a important element of all degrees, I guess I'll just have to deal with the bridging courses then even if they're an hassle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)