The Uni lifestyle (1 Viewer)

Capo

HSC
For those of you who are in university, do you actually get more homework than you do in high school?

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I wouldn't call it "homework."

Nobody checks up on you, pushes you and constantly looks over your shoulder.

It's harder in that you have to be more independent in terms of self-directed learning.

Also, it REALLY depends on what degree you do.

The definition of what is hard and what is not will vary indefinitely.

pHyRe

HSC
yeah but the beauty is you don't have to do it
so the same as year 12 then? Except for a few economics and english essays plus some prac reports....

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
so the same as year 12 then? Except for a few economics and english essays plus some prac reports....
No, they don't check at all apart from those subjects which have the 'homework/class participation' option.
It's like being offered a glass of water. If you drink it, it's great for you. If you don't, they don't care. It's not like they force you to drink it. LOL
In my case, I did most of the group assignment, whilst my buddies offered me any homework which was due that week for Accounting A (class participation).
But, I highly recommend that you 'try' to do it as it's advantageous for you. It doesn't have to be correct or perfect. As long as you give it a go at uni is all that matters.
In terms of homework in high school, I remember getting homework like every 2nd or 3rd day; and like everyday when HSC was nearing.

kfnmpah

HSC
Uni is the fucking best

You have to bust your butt a lot of the time but its so cot damn fun.
In terms of what I produce, it depends on the course. In maths I have pages and pages if working for homework for tutorials and you have to do it
For education a lot of "homework" is readings.
For assessments in the arts generally you produce less than in school (if you hypothetically did ALL your he) but the quality of the work and the effort/level of thinking required is much higher than school.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
IMO uni life is a lot easier than HSC. I say this only because you have the freedom of independent learning and don't have to keep with everyone else's pace. The tutors are lovely and always looking to help, but essentially whether you want to do the homework or not is up to you. What annoys me are the people who don't do the homework then complain that uni is too hard and that they should get an automatic pass for merely paying for the course. You might find people like this in group assignments which makes it harder because you need to carry a bit but the workload is manageable even then with 10+ hours of part time work in the week. The lecturers (the ones I have had this semester anyway) are really good and contrary to popular opinion, they quite often spoon feed information to you without you realising.

It's also a lot more expensive since you (or I do at least) buy so much goddamn food on campus and around the city if you're at UTS hahahaha

kfnmpah

HSC
Don't talk in lectures or you'll be quick to make enemies. Don't take a laptop to lectures to take notes unless you have exceptional self control, print out lecture swlides (6 to a page double sided) and take notes on dem.
go to all your classes always srs I find that if I go to every single class and don't study I do better than if I skip classes and cram.
In your first tutorial, suss out who is shit and who isn't. Become friends with the latter and group assignments will be a breeze.
If no one is shit then I'm sorry but it must be you. Try and trick people into thinking you are not shit.

How to do well in uni 101 by kfnmpah
Not relevant but maybe it is whatever yo its 2am and there are literally 5 people in my hostel vomiting

Being organised is the only thing that is more difficult, straight up.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Personals circumstance - fucking 18 hours travel a week ALOnE....
I can relate... slept twice in the train and luckily a stranger sitting next to me woke me up at Central; assuming that I don't go to USYD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)