How do I decide on Uni/Course? (1 Viewer)

ayecee

HSC
I'm in year 12 at the moment, and I've been doing research on different uni's and courses for months now. Quite frankly, the amount of options I have is really overwhelming.
I don't want advice on which uni is the best or which course is the easiest, but what I'm looking for is how others have made their final decision on their uni and course.
Was it location? Was it course structure/subjects? Was it your only option (ATAR cut off)? Was it because you had mates going to same uni?
I'm at the point where I don't even want to look up any other courses or uni's simply because I think it will make my decision more difficult.
What should I be doing to ensure that I make the best decision?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems daunting now but further throughout the year you will have a better perspective on what course to do; be it from open days, atar mark or whatever.

ayecee

HSC
I doubt my atar would be a major factor, as I'm mainly looking at engineering or maybe science, and my ranks so far are indicative of an atar in the 90's, which doesn't rule out many courses in those faculties.
What sold you on UNSW?

dizzlemizzle

HSC
Well firstly look into degrees you have an interest in. If you loved maths in high school, go for engineering or if your really into reading/writing essays consider law? Then consider difficulty of degree and whether you can handle it or not, ask students studying it and do some research. Far too many people blindly start a degree and after first semester end up disappointed/failures on transcripts because "it was totally different to what they expected"
Then consider job prospects of the degree, will it provide you with skills to get the job you want? is it reputable? etc

Then there's also other factors such as location of uni etc. You might also really care about the social side of the uni, but tbh you're there to get a degree so it shouldn't really be a major factor in making your decision. Finally, just remember that you're only in year 12 and the decision you make will not dictate your whole life. If you have chosen a degree you don't want you can always transfer after first year or go through with it and complete a masters in something else. Good luck!

Last edited:

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
I always liked business so it wasn't hard for me to decide on Commerce.

Reason I chose Macquarie:
I'm not too concern with prestige but I still wanted a university where people don't say "whats that" "eww its ___"

Went to open day really like Macquarie
I wanted the chance to get ahead if I need to- Macquarie has a city campus, so I can rotate between them and take advantage of nice location and fast track

Employment is a major factor for me, I found the free internship offered by Macquarie City Campus really catered to my needs which influenced my transfer there at the start of this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)