In employer's eyes is there a big difference between distinction and high distinction (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
In employer's eyes is there a big difference between distinction and high distinction?

Someone with minimal work experience. 2 years part time job experience and 3 short internships.

More specifically, the corporate finance area and the economics area.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
What is the difference between a distinction wam and a D GPA????

What is the difference between a distinction wam and a D GPA????

AND

THE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION

WHAT DO EMPLOYERS IN AUSTRALIA LOOK AT AND ASK GPA OR WAM?????

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Re: In employer's eyes is there a big difference between distinction and high distinc

Yes of course there is. A lot of employers would prefer a well rounded applicant to somebody who gets consistent HD's but has nothing else to slap on a resume.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It depends. With a distinction GPA your WAM is going to be higher than 75 but it could also be close to 75 or well above. People with credit averages by GPA can have WAMs above 75 too. It depends how consistently close you are to the higher grade of if you get marks well in excess of a HD or some epic fails. The distinction average under GPA in particular has a massive range as a single grade below HD means you can't get a HD average. GPA effectively rounds down always, while a 74 is 1 away from a distinction it is treated as a credit. WAM on the other hand is just an average.

What employers look for varies, credit average is often thrown around for engineering but to be competitive in finance or law I've heard you'd want a distinction average.

Last edited:

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: In employer's eyes is there a big difference between distinction and high distinc

Yes of course there is. A lot of employers would prefer a well rounded applicant to somebody who gets consistent HD's but has nothing else to slap on a resume.
So high distinction ISNT THAT much of a big difference to a distinction in employers eyes?

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: What is the difference between a distinction wam and a D GPA????

It depends. With a distinction GPA your WAM is going to be higher than 75 but it could also be close to 75 or well above. People with credit averages by GPA can have WAMs above 75 too. It depends how consistently close you are to the higher grade of if you get marks well in excess of a HD or some epic fails. The distinction average under GPA in particular has a massive range as a single grade below HD means you can't get a HD average. GPA effectively rounds down always, while a 74 is 1 away from a distinction it is treated as a credit. WAM on the other hand is just an average.

What employers look for varies, credit average is often thrown around for engineering but to be competitive in finance or law I've heard you'd want a distinction average.

I still dont get how GPA and WAM is calculated

by the way, is all unit of study of equal value? as in are first year subjects worth the same as third year subjects?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It all varies slightly from uni to uni.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Re: What is the difference between a distinction wam and a D GPA????

how are you in uni and don't know how averages are calculated lol

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad

Well, you've also got to consider what mark you got as well in my opinion. A 84 narrowly missing out on a HD is better than a 75 just scraping a distinction. I don't think it would make much of a difference unless you were comparing two nearly identical applicants and compared their marks to see who had more HDs.

But a well rounded applicant, like Azure said is far more important. Its nice if you have all HDs, but you won't last in the real world if all you can do is study :p

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Well, you've also got to consider what mark you got as well in my opinion. A 84 narrowly missing out on a HD is better than a 75 just scraping a distinction. I don't think it would make much of a difference unless you were comparing two nearly identical applicants and compared their marks to see who had more HDs.

But a well rounded applicant, like Azure said is far more important. Its nice if you have all HDs, but you won't last in the real world if all you can do is study :p
ummmm a distinction is stil a distinction.. I really doubt employers take that into consideration as well..

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC

ummmm a distinction is stil a distinction.. I really doubt employers take that into consideration as well..
thats why they have WAM or GPA, which you put on your resume

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Even if they're both distinctions, an average mark of 84 will always look better than an average mark of 76. It's not the only deciding factor, but the mark is clearly higher.

RishBonjour

HSC

So high distinction ISNT THAT much of a big difference to a distinction in employers eyes?
It is different. If you have HDs in most of your units, have internship experience and not socially awkward, no fucking shit the employer will pick you over someone with Ds, works at KFC and says umm every 2nd word.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

It is different. If you have HDs in most of your units, have internship experience and not socially awkward, no fucking shit the employer will pick you over someone with Ds, works at KFC and says umm every 2nd word.
haha so um like um what um do um you um mean?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)