I'm thinking of going on an international exchange (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Im currently studying bachelor of economics 1st year at the university of Sydney.

My economics degree is a 3 year long degree.

Im thinking of going on an international exchange to complete 1 year of my degree there. I was wondering what year you usually go on this exchange.

I was thinking going on 3rd year, or 2nd year..

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: Im thinking of going on an international exchange. What year of study do u usualy

you need a credit average at the very least. Might be worth fixing up your marks first.

The best year to do exchange depends on your degree and places available to go on exchange to. Also, whether you want to do 6 months vs 12 months. Or whether you want to study in another language, or English.
Hey are you sure I know you marks are important but I am planning to go on exchange on a not so in demand university. Like not USA, canada.. Would I still need a credit average to get an exchange on like lets say seoul university in Korea which doesnt even beat usyd in rank..

Also, am I allowed to choose whatever year to go on the exchange??

Also does anyone else know what year is best to go on exchange for an economics degree???

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Im thinking of going on an international exchange. What year of study do u usualy

It's not completely about demand which influences your acceptance, you still have to show that you are going to work hard while your there and not struggle. Language and cultural barriers and influence your marks, so they want to know they're accepting students who aren't simply coming to party.

Generally, most exchanges take place in your second year of study. I sincerely doubt they would allow you in your third year as you need to complete the course at your home university.

so_what

HSC

Well, I do not go to Usyd but UNSW policy for exchange is that any average under 65 (a credit) you need to discuss your options with a exchange advisor. Your options will be limited. Also, you cannot complete your last semester of study abroad, so you must do it before year 3 semester 2. To go on exchange in semester 1 2014, you need to have applied for exchange in semester 1 2013. So that option is out. But you can apply next semester and still spend a year abroad if you really want to.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Hey are you sure I know you marks are important but I am planning to go on exchange on a not so in demand university. Like not USA, canada.. Would I still need a credit average to get an exchange on like lets say seoul university in Korea which doesnt even beat usyd in rank..

Also, am I allowed to choose whatever year to go on the exchange??

Also does anyone else know what year is best to go on exchange for an economics degree???
It's pretty much a credit average no matter where you are going. You need to show a decent academic standard for exchange.

For a year long exchange in only a 3 year degree, you'd practically have to do it 2nd year and have to been planning it from the get go of your start of uni.

For a 6 month exchange in a 3 year degree, you'd could do it Sem 1 2014 (though you're cutting it fine to organise it by now tbh), Sem 2 2014 or Sem 1 2015.

And as a note, university in general demands an independent learning attitude. In another country (especially if it's another language) requires an extra amount of organisation, particularly without the support system of either home or just the general university. Also tends to require extra financial organisation. Given your excessive questioning on the forums without an independent attitude to seek answers to your own problems, I sincerely doubt you'd be a good exchange candidate unless you find your feet at USYD second sem solidly.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

It's pretty much a credit average no matter where you are going. You need to show a decent academic standard for exchange.

For a year long exchange in only a 3 year degree, you'd practically have to do it 2nd year and have to been planning it from the get go of your start of uni.

For a 6 month exchange in a 3 year degree, you'd could do it Sem 1 2014 (though you're cutting it fine to organise it by now tbh), Sem 2 2014 or Sem 1 2015.

And as a note, university in general demands an independent learning attitude. In another country (especially if it's another language) requires an extra amount of organisation, particularly without the support system of either home or just the general university. Also tends to require extra financial organisation. Given your excessive questioning on the forums without an independent attitude to seek answers to your own problems, I sincerely doubt you'd be a good exchange candidate unless you find your feet at USYD second sem solidly.
Hey I appreciate your advice. I will definately pick my game up and try really hard from now on.

Just wandering if it is possible to go on exchange from start of 2014 sem 2 till 2015 end of sem 2???

Also, does anyone know if going on international exchange to an asian country (my home) increase my employability or decrease it..

RishBonjour

HSC

Hey I appreciate your advice. I will definately pick my game up and try really hard from now on.

Just wandering if it is possible to go on exchange from start of 2014 sem 2 till 2015 end of sem 2???

Also, does anyone know if going on international exchange to an asian country (my home) increase my employability or decrease it..
It shouldn't really effect it except it makes for interesting stories.

D94

HSC
N/A

You have to ask USYD these questions. Not everyone has gone on exchange, nor is everyone in your academic situation.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Well some degrees you have to do your last semester at the home institution.

ALso I would be worried about your DF and DNF affecting your average and exchange chances. Also, will these not mean you have to do summer/winter school/another partial semester?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

ALso I would be worried about your DF and DNF affecting your average and exchange chances. Also, will these not mean you have to do summer/winter school/another partial semester?
I thought one of the requirements would be 'good academic standing?'

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Yes I would definately be going to summer school and completing my fail and DNF subjects again. Also I will be trying very hard and pull out an overall mark of at least a credit average taking into account my fail that is. So your saying it is allowable to go on exchange from sem 2 2014 till sem 2 2015 since I will still be doing my last semester at USYD?

Anyways, if I take 2 summer school subjects in first year to cover up for my fails is it possible if I can get them to be counted towards being considered for my internal exchange application?

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

I thought one of the requirements would be 'good academic standing?'
Yeah, there was a presentation about exchange in one of my lectures and the lady said you usually need at least a credit average. (this was at UTS, but i'd say it would be fairly similar elsewhere)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at that

if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at that country.

Im thinking of going on exchange to korea with b.econommics at usyd. I was wondering to what "extent" will this increase my employability chances.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at

if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at that country.

Im thinking of going on exchange to korea with b.econommics at usyd. I was wondering to what "extent" will this increase my employability chances.
do you understand how competitive it is in korea? people suicide and shit b/c they can't get into the SKY unis

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at

do you understand how competitive it is in korea? people suicide and shit b/c they can't get into the SKY unis
Actually suicide or metaphorically? Over academics? Wow.

I mean, I can imagine someone being depressed over results, but not to the point of suicide.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Actually suicide or metaphorically? Over academics? Wow.

I mean, I can imagine someone being depressed over results, but not to the point of suicide.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Fuck, I'm thinking this is some new troll.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Fuck, I'm thinking this is some new troll.
first:

>guys will I fail economics if I study the night before
>gets 91 ATAR
>guys I did nothing from the beginning of uni and I am psychologically messed up
>guys can I get a job in korea

sghguos

HSC
N/A

So then whats your point?

ur saying that since its so hard to get into that uni. If i go on exchange their and look for a job its more advantageous to me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)